Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Poorly laptop  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Cheryl

Poorly laptop
« on: October 18, 2014, 05:18:20 PM »
Nothing to do with internet but my oh's laptop not well and help desperately needed, just went last night and now can't get past the windows page and vvvv slow, keep rebooting but tortuously slow, can anyone help or know of someone who can, internet connection fine with my iPad. Will travel to someone if they willing.

thediggers

Re: Poorly laptop
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 05:34:23 PM »
Nothing to do with internet but my oh's laptop not well and help desperately needed, just went last night and now can't get past the windows page and vvvv slow, keep rebooting but tortuously slow, can anyone help or know of someone who can, internet connection fine with my iPad. Will travel to someone if they willing.

Unable to help directly, but can you boot in to it in safe mode? Unless windows 8, when powering on hit F8 key at 1 second intervals, ths will give you the option. It would also help to know the model of laptop, version of windows and what AV software is on the machine.

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 06:07:19 PM »
take it to  your local  computer shp or theres  one oposite  cisia  in goardregrlele

Offline piglet47

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:36:43 PM »
Try The Kid.

He has always managed to fix all our problems re our laptops.

He is on the forum.

Offline Shebar

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 07:31:02 PM »
I'm on a Mac.

There used to be somewhere where you could go and reset it to how it was on...Wednesday or Thursday?

Offline tobylap

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 07:59:01 PM »
Buy apple

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 08:40:28 PM »
Seriously - it being the weekend - please just try this. Try to turn off the laptop, (doesn't matter much if you can't do this) unplug it, and take the battery out. Leave it half a  minute, put the battery back in, and try to turn it on. If it then halfway boots, then decides to turn itself off, let it: it might just restart (automatically) in good order.

Although this (take the battery out) is my favourite party trick with most consumer electronics, it wouldn't be my first idea in your case, except that this Wednesday Microsoft sent an update (Vista and Win7, dunno about 8) and this troubled my Win7 netbook. Clearly the update required a reboot, but one wasn't enough, and it wasn't automated.

Just a thought - and it can't do any harm!

Honestly! I put an exclamation point after the figure 8 (as in Win 8) and it came up as a smiley - what a hoot  :)  OMG - it gets better - it is impossible to type Win Eight (using the figure) without the smiley. Is this forum run by Google?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 08:45:21 PM by Relaxed »

Offline Cassius

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 09:21:31 PM »

Before this happened did you have an automatic update from Windows when you switched it off the night before?

thediggers

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »
If Microsoft have made a major update to Windows 7 as Relaxed said and that's the version you were running, then there is a good chance it has not completed. See http://pcsupport.about.com/od/system-security/fl/patch-tuesday.htm for help on how to recover...

Offline Bizzymiss

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2014, 11:08:56 PM »
A brilliant chap looked at mine for me. Italian - no English. Pm me if you want his number.