Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Healthcare for UK pensioners in the EU post-Brexit ?  (Read 676 times)

Offline Sancho the Phoenix

Healthcare for UK pensioners in the EU post-Brexit ?
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:50:14 PM »
Hi, I'm back.

I wonder if anyone here's got any thoughts on this, especially ideas as to how I could deal with the problem if I decided to come back to live in Italy. Is there a way ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/07/like-death-sentence-retired-britons-eu-face-loss-healthcare

Sorry if I've brought up something I shouldn't have brought up. In the UK, at least among the people I know, it isn't the done thing to talk about or even to mention Brexit, but of course apart from maintaining a sort of brittle calm that doesn't solve much, and it doesn't stop people thinking about it or worrying themselves sick about it. Maybe UK expats abroad are more open about things.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Healthcare for UK pensioners in the EU post-Brexit ?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 12:39:56 AM »
Wonderful to hear from you Sancho!

As far as I can tell ( let?s face it, ??tis such a shambles it is anyone?s guess) thoose of us who have been resident for 5+ years, will continue to be covered by our tesserae Sanitario till the end of 2020 and then we can buy into the Italian system, or get health insurance.

The Italian gov. Has passed a law guaranteeing this in the event of no deal.

For non residents I think you?ll need to get health insurance.

According to a letter from NHS business agency ( who knew that existed) if you return to the UK you will be covered under the NHS system for free healthcare, but who knows?

Personally, I?ve more faith that the Italians would look after me than the UK anyway but it?s very much a wait and see!

Offline Sancho the Phoenix

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »
Thanks very much, and thank you for the straightforward, easy-to-understand reply.

It looks as if, so far as post-Brexit goes, or until Brexit is abandoned, I'll have to wait and see. Not at all satisfactory, but in the meantime I'm fairly sure Italy will be prepared to deal with short-yrtm visitors' health emergencies, such as skiers falling off the top of Mont Blanc, and that for short visits at least I'll be able to count on that.

If I want to stay for longer than that - I still have various properties in Italy - and it turns out it'll mean getting private insurance, it'll be expensive, but if it can be done so be it.

I've been meaning to post something here about the UK as seen by someone returning there after a longish time living abroad. What's changed, what's strange and so on. Do you think it'd be of any interest ?

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 06:42:45 PM »
I?d be interested. I?ve not been to the UK since 2009 and base my impression on reports from my daughter and radio 4 🤪.

From what I hear I don?t think I?d last an hour (enough time for a good Indian curry) before wanting to get back to Italy.

Offline Venatore

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 08:21:55 PM »
10 years is a fair skelp!
Still not long enough to  lose a yearning for the National dish Levi.
😋
V.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 11:58:40 PM »
I make a mean curry myself but nothing can beat a good Rogan josh or a tika masala! That and crispy aromatic duck are probably the only things I miss from England and neither are English!😂

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 04:51:06 PM »
I used to love an Indian but not so sure I could stomach it now. The food I do miss is Thai. When we go back for exhibitions I over indulge and that usually keeps me going for 6 months!
Not much help for the healthcare question but thought I would share it anyway  ;D
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 12:55:21 AM »
Oh shit Sanch - 'not bringing up this subject' is the default position for UK in EU.

So we (if pension age) get a letter, as Levi mentioned, from some previously unheard of privatised agency running the NHS, telling us that any health cover will cease on 31 Oct 2019 as far as the UK is concerned.

We also (established residents) have an assurance (based on 'no deal') from the Italians, saying they'll not cut off the drip until sometime in 2020. That is next year - that is quite close.

We (as UK in Italy) do seem to have some reassurance from the Italian government (as was) that we (established residents) will be regarded as legal third country nationals - thus not subject to deportation. Which I suppose is quite reassuring.However, if you haven't been formally resident in Italy, you're fucked.

Sorry about that. Even if you like curry. Petition Priti and see where that gets you.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 09:33:14 AM »
I?ve been so impressed by the thought and care the government has expended on protecting its citizens abroad, I?m sure the rumblings about deporting people who don?t succeed in getting settled status must go a long way to encouraging the Italian government to treat us Brits kindly!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 04:55:28 PM »
Imagine my delight when, this morning, a ?neighbour? (having read this thread)arrived at my door, bearing the gift of a home made Indian takeaway. Rice, curry, home made naan bread, even lime pickle. It was utterly delicious and had the added bonus of clearing my sinuses 😂. Fabulous! Thank you.

No reason now ever to go back to the uk.

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 10:04:04 PM »
no curry 
but a crumb of comfort we have just had our essensione renued for 999 years free health care