Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Extreme heat  (Read 5160 times)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Extreme heat
« on: June 26, 2019, 10:48:55 AM »
There are warnings about the heat for the next few days. Time to remember all the advice of what to do in very hot weather.
Drink lots of water
Stay in the shade
Don?t go out at mid day (mad dogs etc)

You know the stuff. Take care all.

Offline Rustychain

Re: Extreme heat
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 02:48:06 PM »
All very wise.

But, we don't seem to be getting the extreme stuff just here. It's ~ 31C today which is fairly routine for this time of the year & far from the 44.3C that has just been recorded in France; their all-time record high.  :-[
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 07:11:16 PM »
Watch out for this weekend when the heat will reach a peak, before dropping to a more comfortable temperature next week. 🤞

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 11:27:09 AM »
We're forecast the hottest day of the year so far today.  :-[

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 10:07:24 PM »
There are weather alerts out for severe storms tonight and tomorrow.

Time to bring in the sun brollies!

Offline rometony

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 10:19:46 PM »

A wicked wind this pm ,so all packed away.
now nothing!
Is it the calm before the storm?

t

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 10:39:55 PM »
Same here! Strong winds early evening so I closed the mozzie screens (easily damaged by strong winds, apparently) but it calmed down soon afterwards & it's currently grave-quiet.

Rain tomorrow & very much cooler, or so I'm told.

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 09:02:36 AM »
My three 1000 litre water butts are as good as empty, so can't wait for a bit of the wet stuff.

Still looking very bright and sunny so far this morning, might have to water the plants, that will bring the rain on.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 12:04:43 PM »
Temperature dropping like a stone, clouds massing, wind picking up.. storms a coming!

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 03:08:15 PM »
A nice steady rain here in Loreto Aprutino at the moment, but looks dreadful in Pescara, trees uprooted, cars crushed, cars damaged with hailstones etc etc. Hope it doesn't come this way.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »
I think it?s passed for now but I?ve seen horrendous pictures of damage in Pescara from hailstones and a car park, flooded with cars floating about in the water! Hope all are ok.

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 10:48:56 PM »
We drove into Pescara late morning & it was amazing. We set off with the temperature at 28C. The clouds got darker & darker then the rain arrived. Wow, what rain. Some of the very heaviest I've ever seen. I was driving down that long straight road into Montesilvano at 22mph (35kph) & that was IT; I couldn't go any faster as I simply couldn't see where I was going, despite having put the windscreen wipers on overtime duty. The temperature dropped by 10C within about 20 minutes, so you can probably imagine how much water it took to achieve that.  ??? The drive back was an experience too as all the roads were flooded & the car created so much spray at times that I felt like I was in a speed boat.  ;D

Back in Civitella it looked like there hadn't been much rain; just a steady drizzle really. I shudder to think how full the rivers in Pescara will be in the next day or two after all that rain arrives....

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2019, 12:02:51 PM »
I have just been into the village & was chatting about yesterday's weather. The shopkeeper was telling me that Montesilvano did indeed have some extreme rain but south Pescara & Francavilla were hit with a serious hailstorm, with hailstones the size of oranges. She has a friend in Francavilla who lives on the top floor of an apartment block & the roof was punctured by some of the hailstones & she said that people's veg crops were wiped out. Serious indeed.  ???

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »
Its been so bad in some parts that the Sindaco met last night to decide whether to declare it an emergency. I think if there is sufficient damage they can access central funds.

I wonder about all the beachfront businesses, if their umbrellas and sun beds have been ruined. It would be enough to put some out of business so I hope there?s some government help, although it probably won?t be for years yet!

Thank goodness no one was killed by those hail stones, they?re lethal!!

Offline Grimsby Ranger

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 12:48:10 AM »
Some videos on YouTube show the extent of the damage and the size of the hailstones, seriously extreme  :(