Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Agents and lawyers and geometras and notarios, oh my!  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Berris

Agents and lawyers and geometras and notarios, oh my!
« on: January 25, 2019, 10:30:21 PM »
From what I understand all you need as a bare minimum to buy a house is a seller and a notario. But out of curiosity, has anyone actually done that? Or used just an agent, or an agent and a geometra or an agent a geometra and a lawyer? It seems strange to be paying 20-30% over the cost of purchase for so many professionals to seemingly replicate a lot of each others' work. But it also seems like there are a lot of pitfalls to avoid! I'd be curious to hear people's experiences.

Cheers!
b

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Agents and lawyers and geometras and notarios, oh my!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:10:11 AM »
An awful lot will depend on the house you choose to buy, whether you find it via an agent or independently, whether it’s a simple transaction or whether there are multiple sellers, whether it’s properly registered and there’s nothing abusive. The more complicated the better armed you should be.

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 10:17:45 AM »
The notary is indeed necessary but they are there to legalise the sale and ensuring the transfer documents are registered.  We employed our own Italian solicitor in London (agreed set fee up front)who  acted entirely on our behalf ensuring all the ownership was legal, no debts on the property,the land we also bought wasn't of interest to neighbouring landowners (as they have first dibs) and obviously dealt with translation issues. He also liaised with the local geometra on survey. He stood his ground with the estate agent and didn't pay anything over until compromesso. We attended the sale (so solicitor didn't need to come) and paid a translator to attend with us at the notary office (which you must have unless you are fluent) which is just a formal reading of the final act where everyone agrees to the sale but all the paperwork is in place by then. At this time we had lots of cheques being handed out, the balance of sale money was split between two brothers so we wrote two cheques for that, then one for the notary, one for the translator and one for the balance of estate agents fee. This was 7 years ago now so maybe things have moved on with electronic transfers but it was vaguely reassuring to all who attended that everyone was being paid and we saw the sale going through. I would employ my own soliton again if I was to buy again but maybe use a solicitor who lived in the area and who is recommended by others. Estate agents we have found, encourage you not to bother with your own solicitor as it probably makes life more complicated for them but you are paying out a significant sum so it's worth it.

Offline Venatore

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 03:43:49 PM »
I on the other hand relied upon the independence of the notary and had local builder look at the property for free. This is the way the locals do it mostly and if you are feeling confident it is secure and stress free. As said the notary is there to ensure the sale is legal and to flag up any issues with ownership. They are state registered and take their jobs very seriously. It’s one of the relatively  bureaucracy light processes in Italy.
V.

Offline Berris

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 01:23:46 PM »
Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, Venatore, La Vigna and Levissima. Really appreciate the time you've taken to do this.
Cheers!
b