Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Choices!  (Read 1105 times)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Choices!
« on: November 19, 2018, 11:25:40 AM »
We have a little fruttivendolo Van, which comes to the village, this morning I asked for a cauliflower and was asked which colour I wanted, Bianco, giallo, verde o viola? I remember when a cauliflower was a cauliflower, no choice of colour. Aren’t we lucky to have such wonderful choice of vegetables?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:50:53 PM by levissima »

Offline Rustychain

Re: Choices!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 03:03:38 PM »
Yes, we are. Is there much difference in flavour? Probably not.  ;D

Boiled / steamed cauliflower was never one of my favourites but roasted it's vastly better. Roasted cauliflower risotto is one of my winter staples.  :P
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline old timer

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 04:01:57 PM »
One of my favoured way of having cauliflower is to part steam it then dip each of the florets in egg then flour and deep fry them until golden. They are nice hot of cold. That is how they do them in campania.

Offline Larfalot

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 09:28:04 PM »
Yum, yum.  do they taste differently? (the different coloured ones)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 11:27:50 PM »
Yes, I think so, it’s subtle but the white ones are sweeter than the green ones. The purple ones are such a shock to the eye, it’s a surprise they taste of cauliflower 😂

Offline Cesare Rinato

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 12:29:22 PM »
I like the Cavolfiori Romano. the pointy green one. I often make cauliflower Cheese ( which admittedly looks a bit odd with green pointy bits in it ) or cauliflower and chickpea curry, which in retrospect seems a bit of a waste seeing as how it has such a nice flavour, so I just use it steamed as a vegetable as well. Talking of coloured vegetables Oasi in Lanciano often has the original purple carrots, but the one that always makes me smile, is the choice between red or blonde oranges at the village market. 
A hairy man who is scant of hair