Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Paying IMU from abroad by bank transfer  (Read 217 times)

Offline GeordieBorn

Paying IMU from abroad by bank transfer
« on: November 14, 2018, 03:31:09 PM »
This question was asked on another forum and I thought the simple answer would be you can't. They asked if anyone knew the IBAN number to pay to and a reliable source came back that you need to ask the comune as each has it's own. This would indicate/imply you can pay by bank transfer? If so why do they not promote such to get money in quicker OR do they simply make more on fines ::) Anyone know the answer as I'm sure it would be helpful to a few people here.

Offline Woody

Re: Paying IMU from abroad by bank transfer
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 09:53:21 AM »
I had to visit my comune office to ask this question the last time we were in Casoli. We have always paid it over the counter at CariChieti Banca until they were taken over by UBI Banca. Unfortunately we are no longer able to do this as we had to close our account with Carichieti and open a new account with UBI which we are now only able to use online. There was no other option available to non residents. We also had to buy an Italian mobile phone in order for the bank to open this account for us.
I explained this to the ladies at the comune who told us that it is not possible for us to pay IMU direct from our bank in the UK by transfer as they needed an F24. We now have to queue up at the Post Office to pay this bill!! They certainly don't make it easy to pay this tax, as well as having to calculate it yourself they also make us travel back to years gone by to pay it! Quite funny really!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Paying IMU from abroad by bank transfer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 10:38:11 AM »
I think you have to accept that this part of rural Italy is still living in a time warp. They are only used to dealing with people who live locally, grew up locally, know everyone and where everything is and how itís done so most systems are set up for face to face transactions. Itís gradually being dragged into the present century and itís a real bind at times, but for me, itís all part of the charm😉