Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Uk registered cars - Alert  (Read 605 times)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Uk registered cars - Alert
« on: November 09, 2018, 10:14:42 PM »
(ANSA) - Rome, November 8 - Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli said Thursday that a measure has been inserted into the government's security decree banning people who have been residing in Italy from over 60 days from driving vehicles with foreign license plates. He noted that, though the measure features some exceptions, it seeks to stop people using cars with foreign license plates to avoid paying taxes, insurance and fines. "Those that violate the ban will have to pay a high fine and, if they do not register the vehicle here, their cars may be confiscated," he said in a statement.
    He added that he was "very proud of this measure, which tries to curb an unfair practice that is unfortunately very common and that hurts us all by not paying taxes".

Offline GeordieBorn

Re: Uk registered cars - Alert
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 10:19:30 PM »
Would be interesting to know if there is any EU wide rules on this...  Is it another way to get rid of these "foreigners" spending their money here!

Offline Larfalot

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 03:00:29 AM »
I'm confused...(nothing new there  ;)  ) Is he saying its okay so long as you register your foreign car after 60 days?

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 08:22:38 AM »
From what I understand they are just reducing the window. It is currently 6 months, some people say a year, some 2 years, many never bother doing it at all and just hope not to get stopped. If one can be here for 90 days on a tourist visa then a 60 day limit for your car sounds a little silly and frankly unenforceable. We'll see!
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 10:31:10 AM »
Think this link is clear that it is a year, can't see it going anywhere....

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 01:20:51 PM »
I've just gone through the process of changing my UK registered car onto Italian plates. It really is a simple thing to do and no trouble whatsoever. I did mine through ACI (Automobile Club, Italia) and would recommend anyone thinking of doing the same to use them. There have offices is most towns.

The cost could vary a little from car to car, but it cost me around 800. You shouldn't be paying a lot more than this and certainly not 1400 that I was quoted elsewhere. It does take some time to complete the whole process, but as long as you can prove to the authorities, i.e. the Carabiniere you are in the middle of changing over if you get stopped, then there shouldn't be a problem.

I do wonder if it will be more difficult to do once BREXIT happens and also if it will be a lot more expensive. Who knows? Probably no one at the moment.

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 06:07:54 PM »
Surely any restriction must apply only to those who have residency as non-residents can't have an Italian registered car as they won't let us buy one so we would have to leave after 60 days whereas we currently stay for 90 day segments.  I suppose the alternative would be to drive into Switzerland for a day and then come back for another 60 days!!

Offline the wrong side of the valley

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 07:10:21 PM »
I would say that San Marino is far enough, but then whole convoys of non Italian registered cars could turn up at The Vatican I guess.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 11:57:40 AM »
It's good that this has been raised as a potential worry for members of this forum, but basically it is aimed at two groups of Italians, and should have no effect on non-residents visiting their houses even for extended periods of time.

In the north of Italy quite a few rich people run cars on Swiss or Austrian plates. This means that they don't have to pay the Italian super-bollo (road tax) on their Maserati, they get substantially cheaper insurance, and it's not so easy for the tax man to notice they have a stable of super-cars.

In Puglia (in particular) there are a lot of cars running about on Bulgarian plates. Many of the same motives apply, and you can add to this the less than perfect agreements between Bulgaria and Italy concerning speeding and parking fines etc.

There are various 'exemptions' for foreign registered cars, and for a non resident all that will be necessary is to carry your V5 (if that is still what the document is called) plus some other document where your name and address match the V5 details. (Even if it is a company or leased car, a written letter from the person who has registered the car, stating that you are driving it with their permission, is enough.)

For residents in Italy it will be an offence to drive a UK registered car (as it is now after 12 months I believe - might be 6 months) so apart from the time scale there is no change. However, since you are not the 'target' of this rule change I would be surprised if the police jumped on you fiercely - they'll just tell you to re-register it quick.

Moving the car out of Italy for a day isn't going to work! Brush Strokes is encouraging about the relatively small cost of re-registering onto Italian plates, and these days many Italian insurers will accept UK 'No Claims', and the premiums have become much more competitive in the last few years.

Offline redslk

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »
Hi All. Haven't been around the forum for quite some time, but glad to see familiar names here.

Is it still the same that a none resident cannot own a vehicle? I was told recently this is not true!

If it is the case, can anyone explain why? Seems a little none logical to me. I am allowed to own a property, pay taxes etc. Why the no car?

Now we are retiring and looking to spend longer periods in Italy (maybe 60 days at a time) car hire would become too expensive, where owning a car, taxes paid and fully insured would be a far better option.

An option would be for me to become a resident with my wife remaining UK resident, but this may cause tax problems with pension arrangements and savings / investments!

Cheers

Andy

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 12:44:50 PM »
It's my understanding that it would be hard to own a car in the UK if you were not resident as well. Firstly if an Italian went to the UK and bought a car where would they register the car to. The log book asks for your permanent residency address also when you set up car insurance it asks if you are resident in the UK and your permanent residential address.

At the end of the day we can try and get in between the grey lines in both countries but in both the law exists and makes it impossible to get the best of all worlds!
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2018, 12:46:29 PM »
If you are planning on staying here for less than 6 months per year, you will not be resident and your UK car will be fine on UK plates and UK insurance etc you do not need to buy a car in Italy, if you are planning on staying here for more than 6 months you should be resident and then you can buy a car here.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2018, 01:15:48 PM »
Hi All. Haven't been around the forum for quite some time, but glad to see familiar names here.

Is it still the same that a none resident cannot own a vehicle? I was told recently this is not true!

If it is the case, can anyone explain why? Seems a little none logical to me. I am allowed to own a property, pay taxes etc. Why the no car?

Now we are retiring and looking to spend longer periods in Italy (maybe 60 days at a time) car hire would become too expensive, where owning a car, taxes paid and fully insured would be a far better option.

An option would be for me to become a resident with my wife remaining UK resident, but this may cause tax problems with pension arrangements and savings / investments!

Cheers

Andy
This ACI page could obviously be out of date as many official web sites seem to be both here and in the UK. But it seems clear that you need to be either resident or in the process of getting your residence with an official receipt. Having just been a witness to this process a few days ago, the ACI did indeed want such documentation i.e. you had to be resident. It has been said before the UK is similar, but to me that is simply not true, if you own a house there you WILL be able to easily buy a car. However I do that has a possibilty to change.
You been resident and your wife not, would also not be ideal as currently she would only be supposed to be in Italy 90 days at a time and that may also well change. Many "in betweens" we know of end up drivng back and forward and use their GB car, other post indicates that may become a problem also. I have heard of others leasing a car in France and driving it down as an alternative to hire, but again to me it's a fudge.
Think VV is right in saying it is what it is and you have to decide as being between the grey lines is very hard and to me only causes you more concern/problems in the end.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2018, 04:51:46 PM »
Sorry I should have been clearer, my understanding is that you would be able to buy a car with a UK address but when you come to insure you may have problems as you have to declare where you are resident and unless things have changed NON UK residents would have problems insuring it. As I say this could have changed.

Offline Venatore

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2018, 07:15:09 PM »
I have just bought a new (second hand) car in the UK. When filling out the V5 registration document I was just asked for name and address and the same when getting insurance online. There seems to be no obvious requirements in the UK to establish residency other than supplying a contact address.
I suppose the devil is in the detail as to what difference there may be between resident and Residency.
V.