Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Telephones in Italy..  (Read 2315 times)

thediggers

Telephones in Italy..
« on: August 22, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »
Well somewhere else, someone decided to rip off the text from the web about phones in Italy. So you can either read here http://www.gapyear.com/countries/italy/travel-tips (and they get the credit) or ask Google for the wiki version. Now someone else might be able to give real live facts...

For me, with a land line.. I know they are hard to get installed at times, so if one is already present, why not see how it goes... Never use it to call out, but it costs €30-35 per month. Lot of the family have Sky in the UK with full phone package. Calls to Italy for them are free... hence we still have the land line here...

Mobiles, we bought a cheap samsung at IPER 25 (ish) with a WIND sim, did not top it up for a while (less than a year) as we hardly used it! It expired or something like that.. Could get no sense out of the WIND shops, they seemed as surprised as us... Bought a TIM sim for €10 and put it in same mobile (not locked) and still using the €20 credit over a year later... Good for giving number to shops if orders are to be delivered etc.....

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Telephones in Italy..
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 02:21:13 AM »
I have telecom Italia , teleconomia. The reason I haven't responded to this post before
is that I've been talking to my daughter in the UK for the last 2 1/2 hours! I pay €10 per month ( plus IVA) unlimited calls to Europe and USA.

There is something very rewarding about receiving a bill which says calls to UK, 60 hours cost = 0,00

I love it and I'm doing my best to bankrupt the system before they change it!

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:02:56 PM »
I have telecom Italia , teleconomia. The reason I haven't responded to this post before
is that I've been talking to my daughter in the UK for the last 2 1/2 hours! I pay €10 per month ( plus IVA) unlimited calls to Europe and USA.

There is something very rewarding about receiving a bill which says calls to UK, 60 hours cost = 0,00

I love it and I'm doing my best to bankrupt the system before they change it!

only sixty hrs when we get a bill its  somtimes  150 hrs  good value mums happy  Chris is happy  so iam happy  plus dam fast internet  it runs 3 compooters  at once  film on corry  emerdale deal or  no deal  bloody brill in the winter  on thoes long   nights

Offline cpa21

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 02:58:44 PM »
My version of TIM on the prepaid cell phone is expensive.  I make hardly any calls but the balance disappears.  Since I am returning to the US in less than a month I will need to deal with it.  On the other hand I have found a VOIP solution that gives me a local Italian landline that will travel with me. http://www.messagenet.com/

Offline italianlover

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 04:38:38 PM »
My version of TIM on the prepaid cell phone is expensive.  I make hardly any calls but the balance disappears.  Since I am returning to the US in less than a month I will need to deal with it.  On the other hand I have found a VOIP solution that gives me a local Italian landline that will travel with me. http://www.messagenet.com/

There service is spot on and the best bit is you can have one free Italian land line number.  There are cheaper VOIP services to use to call from, such as www.localphone.com

thediggers

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 05:25:52 PM »
Think quality and then cost per call are the important factors for me, two very good links, neither heard of either before. Not sure of the limitations on them all, but one looks dearer than Skype and the other slightly less on one of their tariffs.  We use Skype out to call unlimited anywhere in Europe at £5.74, quality is ok, but not as good as a landline and some numbers last time I tried were not included e.g. 0845

Offline italianlover

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
Skype can be a little ropey, that is sure! 
I am told that Microsoft are not resourcing it properly. 
Localphone generally provide a very high quality and you very rarely get dropped calls.