Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Buying Olive Wood  (Read 222 times)

Offline Maz

Buying Olive Wood
« on: October 11, 2018, 02:04:25 PM »
Does anyone know the cost of buying olive tree wood for wood burners?

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Buying Olive Wood
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 03:24:18 PM »
I donít know anyone who burns olive wood in a wood burner. Olive trees are slow growing, they do use the prunings in fires but as itís a very oily wood I donít think itíll do your wood burner a lot of good, bit like burning pine.

The wood sold for firewood is usually oak (quercia) and beech (faggio) itís best to get a mix because oak is slow burning but can be a devil to light. Depending on the size of your wood burner youíll need to get the right sized wood or cut it yourself.

I donít know what area you are in but there are legnaia all over, if you ask the locals or look on the Internet you should find one close to you.

Many big supermarkets also sell smaller, split logs, in netting bags but thatís expensive if you want any quantity.

Offline rometony

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 05:39:19 PM »
I have just bought two pallets of the wood described by Levi for 150e. I don't know if it is a good price!. I bought it from where I buy my boiler fuel and they deliver so its convenient.
I usually chop my own wood from around my house but this year (the 1st) I just haven't had time.
I have used large cuttings of olive wood in my log burner over the years and it has been fine.

T

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 07:24:38 PM »
Last quote we had was a few years back and it was at least Ä15 per quintal. Its burn value is greater than oak, but again you need something else to get it burning, as Levi says very dry beech or ash (if you can get it).

Offline Venatore

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:42 PM »
For clarification
Is a quintal 100kg?
V.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 11:28:15 PM »
For clarification
Is a quintal 100kg?
V.