Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Looking for a long term rental  (Read 354 times)

Offline barnaby

Looking for a long term rental
« on: September 13, 2018, 02:18:39 PM »
Hi,

I have recently joined this forum and this is my first post!  Thank you for letting me join. 
My husband and myself had our first holiday in Abruzzo in June this year and we completely fell in love.  We would love to live here for a year and hopefully would like to come over this time next year (September).  We will both be retired by then, and we have just had our UK home valued for rental.  We are looking for a house to rent as are not in a position to buy yet.  Ideally we would like three bedrooms and two bathrooms, sitting room and kitchen and hopefully some outside storage for bikes etc.  We would be bringing our two dogs and maybe our two cats, so would need a garden and or some land which they could be safe in.  A view is a must! and hopefully the garden would enable us to grow some vegetables. We do not want to be near a busy road and want to be in the countryside between the mountains and the sea.  We stayed near to Manopello in June, and also loved the area around Penne and Atri, but we are open to suggestions. It would be good to be near a town or village with some facilities and to enable us to get to know the local people and join in.  The house must be suitable for living in for a year, not a small holiday apartment.  If any of you have any idea how I could go about finding such a place I would be very grateful, and any useful info will be much appreciated.  We are coming back over in June again next year, so could always have a look at properties then.
Thanking you in advance, and I hope you are enjoying a lovely late summer.

Best wishes
Claire and Jerry
Best wi

Offline Venatore

Re: Looking for a long term rental
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 05:51:39 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Abruzzo really has a lot to offer and I’m not surprised you have fallen for it.
I use my property too much to want to rent it out for so long but there might be someone who knows of somewhere.
Best of luck
V.

Offline barnaby

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 06:19:14 PM »
Thanks for your welcome!

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 07:56:26 AM »
The likelihood is you will need to speak with an agent who also deals with rentals. It's usual here for a 4-year contract but 1 year contracts (furnished) are popular too.  Unlikely you will find these online though.  Maybe someone who is trying to sell?  Otherwise it will be an Italian owner.  I think you might need 'boots on the ground'.  Not that easy but not impossible. Good luck!
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 11:27:05 AM »
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

I’m sure you’ll find somewhere and I think it’s a very good idea to test the water by renting. Do bare in mind that if you choose somewhere very rural and we have a hard winter with lots of snow, it’s a good idea to be reasonably close to a road that will be cleared.

Offline barnaby

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 03:46:26 PM »
Yes good point about not being too rural.  We do want to be in easy reach of facilities but not in the town itself.  Just love the peace of the countryside!

Offline Venatore

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:03:37 AM »
I would second Levi’s comment about rural roads.
I would add try and find a property that is already habitable as the process of works and paperwork can be a drag. Existing connection to services including main drainage is a bonus and think about whether you prefer early sunrises or late sunsets as due to the local topography you would be fortunate to get both.
Good hunting
V.

Offline Larfalot

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 12:11:31 PM »
Great advice re preference of sunsets or sunrise.  Also factor into that when you can 'stand' intense sun through your window morning or evening and also having to shut the shutters and windows (and subsequently shutting the light out) to keep cool.  This is why renting in a few different places is worth a try out.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
I also totally agree on looking at all aspects of the house. We are very lucky (or the original Italian building the house was very, very good) as the sun comes up at one end of the house and moves around the full length on that side. Sun set is on the other side, so in the morning in the intense part of summer the shutters are down on one side, but the other side open. It means we are not totally in the dark at any time of the day. Since being here a while we have also noticed how some houses down in the valley lose the sun so early on in the day. I suspect “wrong side of the valley” is something we’ve realised is not what you want and thankfully we don’t have. Hopefully our “wrong side of the valley” has that user name for some different reason.

Offline the wrong side of the valley

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 06:20:09 PM »
It is nice to be remembered, for whatever reason!
The name came out of desperation and lack of imagination in choosing a name.  At the time many of the Brits that we knew then were somewhere over the other side of the valley and beyond, so we seemed to be on the 'wrong' side.  We love our location completely and wouldn't change it for anything.

It would be difficult to find a house in Abruzzo without views that many would give their right arm for in the UK, Abruzzo is so blessed with sea, mountains, hills, olive trees, vineyards, hilltop villages, the list is endless.

We are still in love with the region since our first visit in 2005.