Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: New Import Tax  (Read 305 times)

Offline NigelandSue

New Import Tax
« on: August 23, 2018, 11:44:07 PM »
I'm planning to ship a container of furnishings, etc. out to Italy.
I've just been told by the UK shipper that a new 22% import tax on personal effects has just come into force.
Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Do you know where I can find out more details?
Is this even legal under EU legislation?
Thanks,
Nigel
>:(

Offline SALCIM

Re: New Import Tax
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 08:45:20 AM »
The following link might help:https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/vat-customs/cross-border/index_en.htm
In principle a VAT registered company who sells goods to a consumer in Italy needs to have a VAT registration in Italy and should charge the Italian VAT rate, but no UK VAT is charged. However, if they are not registered in Italy (and they export less than 35000 worth of goods per annum in Italy) then it gets a bit more complicated. What most people do is buy their items in the UK and pay UK VAT and the items then become personal effects. If you then ship them to Italy the goods are then "in free circulation within the EU" and you do not need to declare them, which I guess is what most people do. It's a bit of a moot point as if you ship them "brand new" and in their packaging etc., it could be argued that the Italian rate of VAT should be paid. However, your supplier is incorrect to say that there is a a "new import tax on personal effects of 22%" - there is a VAT rate of 22% in Italy and if your supplier has tax registered in Italy then they will charge you the 22% VAT (but no UK VAT) if they are arranging the shipping to Italy for you - there are no "new" taxes. Hope that helps a bit, but others here might also have advice.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 09:17:10 AM »
Salcim's post looks spot on to me if it's personal effects already bought in the UK sometime back i.e. household goods, then I would suggest to the Company they have it wrong (trying in on).

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
You are sending these household goods out of the UK into Italy?
You have paid VAT on the goods, and they were bought in the UK? They are your personal property, for your own use in Italy?
If the above statements are true you should not have to pay any 'import duty'.
I can see why SALCIM has concentrated on VAT (because of the 22% rate quoted), but if your shipper is calling it 'import duty' it doesn't make any sense to me.
The UK is still in the EU.

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:10:21 PM »
Sounds like a scam.
In Abruzzo since March 2013