Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Wildlife Guides  (Read 472 times)

Offline Rustychain

Wildlife Guides
« on: August 23, 2018, 01:51:21 PM »
We have some friends coming out next month & 'she' is mad on her wildlife, so I'm wondering if there might be some guides somewhere that could take us to the best areas & try to unearth some of the great wildlife that Abruzzo holds. Anybody any ideas?
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Wildlife Guides
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 05:50:56 PM »
If you can find a Tourist Information Centre(few and far between Iím afraid) they used to have flora and fauna guides for Campo Imperiiatore.

Or have a look for Fartbook pages, there are several which report on the wildlife of the area.

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 12:06:19 PM »
Thanks Levi. I did a bit of Googling & found this lot. I have just booked the 4 of us on the bear spotting trip.....

https://www.wildlifeadventures.it/en_GB/wildlife-watching

I'm sure that others + / or their visitors might enjoy them too.

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 10:05:51 PM »
Well, we went on our bear watching / spotting a few days ago & had a brilliant time. We met in Pescasseroli & it's a beautiful mountain town. We only arrived in time for the trip but wished we'd had some free time to enjoy the town. The staff were very professional, we were given binoculars to use & were driven to a launching point for the day. We climbed up to 1,900m through beautiful beech forest & the weather was perfect. Once up there we sat down to look for bears & after an hour or so a fine male arrived! It was brilliant to see one of 50 Italian brown bears, & at relatively close quarters too.

We stayed high up until it was practically dark then descended back through the forest with head-torches on; a really magical experience. I'd recommend the trip to anybody with a love of the outdoors & wildlife. There was a herd of red deer there too & the stags were beautiful & vocal in equal measure. It was only Ä35 / head, the guides were knowledgeable & good company; what's not to like?!

;D

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 10:38:52 PM »
Sounds great. I meant to ask you to report back once you'd been. Sounds like very good value for money. Pleased you enjoyed it and got to see a bear.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
Thanks for the information, it sounds like you had a great day!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 03:28:56 PM »
Iím really pleased for you that you actually got to see a bear, must have been wonderful. Thanks for letting us know about the trip.

Offline Cassius

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 09:38:33 PM »
Sounds a really wonderful experience.  Will add it to our 'to do' list........