Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Carta d'identita fingerprints  (Read 740 times)

Offline Relaxed

Carta d'identita fingerprints
« on: July 22, 2018, 07:05:12 PM »
A friend (UK) recently needed to renew his Italian carta d'identita, and was surprised to be asked to provide fingerprints.

These are taken, digitally, at the comune offices, if the comune is already doing 'electronic' cards. (Some comunes are not yet signed up to electronic cards, but they all will be before too long.)

You get a plastic card as well, with your photo on it, for the usual purposes, and this does not have your fingerprint on it. The fingerprints are held on a ministry of the interior database.

I checked. It's not discrimination against 'foreigners' - any Italian over the age of 12 also has to provide fingerprints for these 'electronic' cards. They are sometimes referred to as biometric cards.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Carta d'identita fingerprints
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »
I’ll be really interested to see how my comune copes with this technological innovation. They’ve only just upgraded from stone tablets to a dot matrix printer.

Offline Riso

Re: Carta d'identita fingerprints
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:48:00 PM »
Same as mine Levi just got new ID for new comuni thats bad enough wont tell you what we had to do to change ASL. Stone tablets seem a better alterative..