Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Pigeons...  (Read 207 times)

Offline Rustychain

Pigeons...
« on: July 03, 2018, 10:07:53 PM »
Anybody know where I might buy some? For the pot that is, not to race or have as pets!

The big supermarkets always have quail, pheasant, duck etc but I've never seen pigeon anywhere in Italy. I could ask the local butcher to source some I guess but I wonder if anyone knows of a good 'game' butcher.

Many thanks.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline GeordieBorn

Re: Pigeons...
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 11:51:31 PM »
Go out and shoot some?

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »
You could ask around and see if there are any local people who raise pigeons in their 'back yard'. A good place to ask would be your local agricultural and animal feed shop.

If you find someone, they'll probably raise chickens and rabbits, maybe guinea fowl (faraona) too. An old lady close to me has quite a little business - she feeds the rabbits in their last days on rosemary clippings, and claims you don't need to season them when you cook them! 

Her produce is eye-wateringly expensive, but tastes amazing. She'll even prepare it oven ready on request.

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2018, 08:04:41 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts...

Shooting some would be good Geordie, but without a gun or any appropriate shooting skills, unlikely to result in a full larder!

I'll start by asking in the local butcher & see where I get to. Pigeon is one of those things that, if it's on a menu, I almost always go for it.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline Venatore

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
I remember hearing a tale of a gentleman who during the blockade of Sarajevo took to fishing for pigeons using stale bread, a fine line and the smallest fish hooks he could find. He would lie in dark doorways and cast into the empty squares.
 Bad as things got there always seemed to be sufficient pigeons to be had.
V.