Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: May's weather effort  (Read 618 times)

Offline Rustychain

May's weather effort
« on: May 21, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »
Based on May's weather to date I'm going to give it 3.5 / 10.

I think we've only had ONE totally dry day so far this month (in Civitella Casanova); it's been grey, cloudy, cool & damp / wet for most of it.

I'm sure that those closer to the coast / at lower altitudes will have fared better but it's by some margin the worst May we've had for weather since we came out here in 2013. And we've rain or thunderstorms forecast for the next 3 days.  :'(

At least the garden's loving it.  ;D
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: May's weather effort
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 05:02:47 PM »
Make the most of the next few days because the forecast is then for thunderstorms well into June!!

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
Make the most of the next few days? We've rain or thunderstorms forecast for 4 of the next 5 days!  ???

Had another Biblical downpour this afternoon. PLUS a clap of thunder that sounded like it was in the back garden. It had a 'crack' to it that was sharper-edged than a door slamming. Amazing.

I think that's the thing with being at altitude (500m here); we're sometimes eye-level with the storms.  ???

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 09:57:08 PM »
Be warned how serious these storms can be as an old forum member here lost a ew thousand Euro worth of electrics one year. Unplug the lot if the storm is near you!

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:15:51 AM »
Good advice to unplug everything - washing machines, dishwashers, boilers, just EVERYTHING.

It would be good to be able to unplug wisterias and similar jungly plants - but since that's not an option, never leave your house even just to nip to the shops without carrying a pair of secateurs - you might find you can't hack you way back inside if you aren't equipped!

Offline Lui

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 07:34:28 AM »
Our electrician told us to switch off the entire house at the Enel switch on the meter to protect all the hard wired items like the boiler as well as unplugging everything for the duration of the storm. Don't forget the phone too. As to the weather; after nearly 8 years here we've finally come to the conclusion that there is no normal yearly weather pattern at all and you get what you get when you get it!

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 05:36:49 PM »
I find this whole "unplug everything" thing a bit odd. I'd never come across it in 49 years of living in the UK but hear it regularly over here.

I'm not suggesting it's an old-wives' tale as we know people that have had electrical stuff go pop. Are Italian electrical installations just far less robust than UK ones? I remember looking into the unplugging thing when it had first been suggested to me & I was comfortable that the risk was extremely small so I've never unplugged anything & we've never had anything die on us and we've been in the middle of a lot of really powerful storms.

"Wait 'till the next storm" you might say, but that's an endless argument about getting hit by the next bus or meteorite....  ;D

We all have to make our own choices re exposure to risk & I can't get too excited about this one. Yes, you may yet have the last laugh!

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 06:12:40 PM »
As to the weather; after nearly 8 years here we've finally come to the conclusion that there is no normal yearly weather pattern at all and you get what you get when you get it!

That's exactly it, and it's the difference between "weather" & "climate".

Offline old timer

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 07:36:06 PM »
I for one unplug everything when we have a thunderstorm. We are quite high at 650m. We had a lightning strike quite near which blew the TV . I have a couple of trees which have been hit with lightning and set them on fire. We went here at the time.
Although in the UK we don't unplug the electrical items maybe we should. We had a lightning strike in worthing last year which hit a house next to my friend and the house was partly burnt down.  I think part of the problem is the hight a lot of people are and second that apart from the towns most of us are in the country.

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2018, 08:45:25 PM »
I've been here for 12 years now and the weather we're getting at the moment is not uncommon at this time of year. Usually happens during May, sometimes early June.

When I first moved into my house at the start of June, it was like this for the first two weeks, i.e. warm in the morning, thunderstorms and torrential rain in the afternoon and I thought perhaps this is what is like living close to the mountains. I was a little worried, but then normal service was soon resumed.

Offline Cassius

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 03:05:36 PM »
My grandparents in law's tv aerial was hit by lightening which shorted their TV and that was in Pinner!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2018, 08:17:08 PM »
Everyone ok? That latest storm was interesting, I unplugged, just in case and there were some pretty close strikes.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
Roads in L’Aquila were flooded during the night and when this latest lot makes its way to the sea, they are expecting flooding along the coast. Take care if you’re driving.

Offline Lui

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »
Looking at the weather forecast it looks like June is going to be much like May :-(