Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: moving to Abbruzzo  (Read 217 times)

Offline kris9ty

moving to Abbruzzo
« on: May 15, 2018, 04:59:00 PM »
Hi All,

I am new here and I am relocating to Castiglione messer raimondo in the Teramo province in October for 6months with my dog from the UK, then see how i go and perhaps stay or move to another area.

I just wanted to see if there was any advice i will need to know, i have researched this area and living in Italy quite a bit but feel it is always good to have advice from locals and expats - i am planning on doing lots of hiking whilst there along with sightseeing and small travels around Italy.  I have seen all of the main cities/tourist attractions of Italy, so any smaller town/villages that you recommend to see are gretaly appreciated.  i love history and culture, so again any recommendations are appreciated.

Many thanks

Kristy

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: moving to Abbruzzo
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 06:14:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum and good wishes for your future in CMR.

I think you’ve picked a good place to start because you are well placed for both sea and mountains.

There are many small towns around you, each of which has places of interest.

One piece of advice I’d give is to try speaking to the locals, quite often there are festas and other events, which are very poorly advertised, because the locals all know they happen every year so no need to publicise 😉

If you are here at the beginning of October ( first weekend in October) there is a big wine festival in Bisenti, well worth a visit.

There are a few of us ‘Stranieri’ in the area so I’m sure you’ll meet some of us pretty soon 😃

Offline Venatore

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:49:35 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum
Having bobbed around various parts of Italy over the years I would say Abruzzo is an excellent place to spend 6 months or longer.
If you are bringing your dog I would suggest bringing your car as well as there nothing like hopping in and popping out on a whim and a walk. Public transport may not be kso frequent,though it is reliable, or so pet friendly so having a car can really free things up. Overwintering can vary from balmy days by the beach to solid freeze lockdown at altitudes so having transport really Helps. Just make sure it's got winter tyres fitted or at least some snow chains in the boot as even if you don't see a flake of snow it's still a legal requirement.
V.

Offline Clive Oldfield

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 10:38:25 PM »
Hi, we brought our two dogs from the UK and picked up a puppy as we moved here. We do lots of walking in the forests etc. Ticks are a HUGE problem here. I always used natural products in the UK, but nothing seems to work other than soresto or scalibor collars and even then we can find up to 4 or 5+ ticks on them all after each walk. The collars are expensive and it works out cheaper if you ask your uk vet for a prescription and then get it yourself off the internet, in the uk. A tick remover is a must, I recommend you get several. If your pet is noise sensitive, I have to warn you, that for each Festa or Saint day (in our village there are over 20), there are fireworks around 8am and then again in the evening, and again around midnight. These fireworks sound like bombs! Medicines for pets and us humans, are expensive.
Apart from that, it is fantastic here, and our dogs love it here too.
Enjoy  :-*
Denise