Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Black snake a little too close  (Read 194 times)

Offline GeordieBorn

Black snake a little too close
« on: May 11, 2018, 01:54:29 PM »
Obviously seeing this YouTube this is not that uncommon, but itís not something I want repeated too often, fascinating as it was. Came out of the downstairs cantina off the patio and a lizard dashed in front of me, quite normal as we have loads as Iím sure many here do. Often they will even run towards you and now and then across your foot. Thankfully this one did not as it had a 1m+ black snake chasing it, what I found even more amazing was the fact this snake stopped right beside me, less than its own than length and stayed there for 2-3 minutes before slowly going off hunting another lizard! I came across the YouTube link above whilst trying to confirm the identity, which I thought was a Black Ratsnake, but perhaps it is a whip snake?

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Black snake a little too close
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »
That looks a bit non consensual to me! 🤔

An old boy told me off for walking the dogs whilst wearing  my flip flops, he told me about his cousin having been bitten by a viper and surviving but was very sick. I said ď oh dear, when was this? ď thinking it was fairly recent, his answer? 1943!!

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 10:44:18 PM »
Yep, Western Whip Snakes. Very fast, love lizards. Happy enough with mice. ;D
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 11:14:53 AM »
By way of coincidence, I saw my first snake of the year yesterday; a Western Whip Snake. Pretty late for a first-spotting but the weather's been pretty grey & cool for most of May.

Hoping it stays dry for the Giro later...
In Abruzzo since March 2013