Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Rain heavy enough for you?!  (Read 430 times)

Offline Rustychain

Rain heavy enough for you?!
« on: May 05, 2018, 11:29:31 AM »
After a couple of glorious weeks in April, the weather's hit the buffers in May.

We've just had an hour or so of some of the heaviest rain I've ever seen; our drain covers were bubbling up under the force of water coming off the house roof & I had cause to nip into the village & it wasn't so much a case of the roads being turned into rivers, more a case of them being turned into brown waterfalls. I can't remember seeing anything quite like it.

There is gravel & mud all over the roads & I'm sure this will lead to some landslides somewhere or other. Not only that but we've got rain or thunderstorms forecast for pretty much the whole of the coming week.

It's only a week or so since I was planting a few things out in the garden & even at more than a spade's depth the soil was as dry as Gandhi's flip-flops. No longer!
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline GeordieBorn

Re: Rain heavy enough for you?!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »
Accuweather is predicting the same type of weather for the rest of the month!  ::) Just hoping they have the forecast as wrong as they have most weeks recently. But unfortunately Il Meteo and Yahoo have a similar mixed bag, ah well the veg plants and weeds are loving it.

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 11:55:02 AM »
Yesterday morning I managed to put my bamboo supports in the ground for the tomato plants and they went in so easy it was a delight. Didn't manage to get the tomato plants in though, rain stop play, maybe Monday!  :(

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »
Yesterday morning I managed to put my bamboo supports in the ground for the tomato plants and they went in so easy it was a delight. Didn't manage to get the tomato plants in though, rain stop play, maybe Monday!  :(

Ha! Yep, I was using an iron bar and sledge hammer with water poured on it to make holes for the canes last week. For the rest of the plants this week I was like you simply pushing them in as far as I wanted, so yes I suppose, that's another benefit of all this rain :-\