Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Brown hairy caterpillar  (Read 473 times)

Offline GeordieBorn

Brown hairy caterpillar
« on: April 28, 2018, 12:53:46 PM »
Brown hairy caterpillar. I assume others have seen a lot of these this year. Oddly they are all around our house, but not neighbours. At first they were tiny and living under a carpet of web munching at weeds. Then they stated to disperse and grow, but still little damage to other than weeds. Now however they are climbing all over the outside of the house and have started to attack newly planted veg! Iíve seen loads of them before over the years, but never this many as close to the property. It seems from this BEEB link they have a similar problem (different caterpillar) in the UK. Fireflies are fine (still only one spotted), but these caterpillars are becoming a pest!

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
Re: Brown hairy caterpillar
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2018, 03:19:51 PM »
These caterpillars can be quite dangerous to humans and especially harmful to dogs etc. Where I used to live our neighbour ended up in hospital because of them. 

We haven't got them this year, mainly because they like pine trees and I cut down our only one last year. The best way to get rid of them is while they are still in their strong web. Cut the web down and set fire to it. Whatever you do be careful with them.

Still no fireflies at mine, getting paranoid now  :)

*********Oops I've just read the BBC link**************
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 03:28:19 PM by Brush Strokes »

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 11:50:17 AM »
I saw one of these things last week & moved it on. It was the first I'd seen but friends of ours (further north) have them on a Biblical scale.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 11:20:27 AM »
Cuckoos eat these things by the hundred; I think they're the only bird that can tolerate them. We had a cuckoo in the back garden last year... I was lying in the bath watching it drop dow from a tree, fly back up with one, spot another, drop down again. I had a nice 15 minutes watching it.

As far as I'm aware, it was the first cuckoo I'd ever seen (as opposed to just hearing them) & when I first saw it I thought it was a Sparrow-hawk but quickly corrected my own mistake.  ;D
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »
Cuckoos eat these things by the hundred; I think they're the only bird that can tolerate them. We had a cuckoo in the back garden last year... I was lying in the bath watching it drop dow from a tree, fly back up with one, spot another, drop down again. I had a nice 15 minutes watching it.

As far as I'm aware, it was the first cuckoo I'd ever seen (as opposed to just hearing them) & when I first saw it I thought it was a Sparrow-hawk but quickly corrected my own mistake.  ;D

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a cuckoo. Maybe I should bath more??  :)

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 05:31:33 PM »
I would like a cuckoo please :) Mind you I have only seen one or two 'woolly bear' caterpillar in recent days. I too had never seen a cuckoo or heard many living so far north in the UK, but we did see one here last year doing exactly the same i.e. sitting in an olive tree and flying down to the ground pick something up and eat it in the tree.