Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Guided Tour of Campo 78 POW Camp - Sulmona (Saturday March 17th 3-5pm)  (Read 998 times)

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
This Saturday the 17th of March, there will be a guided tour of 'Campo 78' POW camp at Fonte d'Amore, near Sulmona given by local association Una Fondazione per il Morrone. The camp, which was in use during both world wars, housed Allied prisoners captured in N. Africa during the first part of WWII up until the Armistice of September, 1943. The tour will be given by Mario Salzano for WWI, and Mario Setta for WWII, both assisted by a translator. Note that the camp is not usually open to the public and special permission has been granted by the military for this particular date. No entrance fee will be charged however visitors are kindly asked to donate whatever amount they choose to the camp's fundraising campaign. The entrance to the camp is up a small lane, just off Via Fonte' d'Amore, 5 minutes outside of Sulmona. For more info please contact unafondazioneperilmorrone@gmail.com
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline nil satis

Thanks Tartufa I am choked I wont be in Italy for this, if there are further plans to do this please share again

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
There are regular tours throughout the year but they tend to be by special request (descendants and the like) or for special events / conferences like on Saturday.  The Military are still in charge and it takes a few weeks' notice and bit of paperwork to plan a visit. It is the Fondazione per Il Morrone who are the key contacts and we (at Welcome to Sulmona) are sometimes asked to either provide interpreting and / or publicise an event. If you are a FB user you can spot the tours coming up as events on the Welcome To Sulmona Facebook page.  You may also be interested in our own blog post: http://welcometosulmona.com/visiting-campo-78/  Maybe see you next time?
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Hope the tour goes well, this area has an interesting history. Was this the camp where Eric Newby was held, prior to his escape?

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
I too would have loved to be able to go to this, but unfortunately can't make that time of the day. Will keep a look out for future tours.  :)

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
Hope the tour goes well, this area has an interesting history. Was this the camp where Eric Newby was held, prior to his escape?
  No I think Eric Newby was further north.  No celebs in our campo except a couple of soccer internationals which apparently made the inter-barracks footy matches quite fun!

Offline nil satis

I think this was the camp where Len Harley escaped from and was the subject of a great channel 4 documentary broadcast last year

Offline nil satis

it was this camp and I just read sadly Len passed away aged 99 in January

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
Oh dear, that is a shame. An amazing guy and so brave  :(

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
it was this camp and I just read sadly Len passed away aged 99 in January

Yes - the documentary was filmed in part here last Spring. We helped as local 'fixers'. The film company didn't know where to find the 'Spinosa family in Zappanotte' and I mentioned that I passed a house on my (almost) daily dog walk with that name, in that area, and BINGO they found the family. A great story. Not many left to tell their stories sadly.

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
Re: Guided Tour of Campo 78 POW Camp - Sulmona Monday May 7th 10.00am
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 02:35:03 PM »
New date:  Monday 7th May, 10.00am

If you haven't already visited Campo 78 then do try to come on Monday. It has a fascinating story which is always very well told by the two local experts. 

Facebook event here: https://www.facebook.com/events/171223233591291/?notif_t=event_calendar_create&notif_id=1525437005248240

Info: This coming Monday the 7th of May, there will be a guided tour of 'Campo 78' POW camp at Fonte d'Amore, near Sulmona given by local association Una Fondazione per il Morrone. The camp, which was in use during both world wars, housed Allied prisoners captured in N. Africa during the first part of WWII up until the Armistice of September, 1943. The tour will be given by Mario Salzano for WWI, and Mario Setta for WWII, both assisted by a mother tongue English translator. Note that the camp is not usually open to the public and special permission has been granted by the military for this particular date. No entrance fee will be charged however visitors are kindly asked to donate whatever amount they choose to the camp's fundraising campaign. The entrance to the camp is up a small lane, just off Via Fonte' d'Amore, 5 minutes outside of Sulmona. For more info please contact Una Fondazione per il Morrone

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Hope the event goes well. It would be lovely if, perhaps there was a video to share for those who canít get there?

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
I doubt there will be a video of the event. This particular date has been scheduled for a a British family whose father (grandfather?) was a POW here and it is just a simple tour of the camp and not an Open Day per se. At some stage, when the Military have passed over control of the camp to the association mentioned below, and funding permits, it is hoped that there will be a sort of visitors' centre and a proper calendar of events and promotional activities. Until then it is very informal and a big 'ad hoc'.