Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: New voluntary contribution rates for health care  (Read 713 times)

Offline Wheppy

New voluntary contribution rates for health care
« on: February 21, 2018, 10:09:12 AM »
Morning all. We went to the ASL for Pescara yesterday to pay our annual SSN contribution. We were informed that the rate (387 euros) per year has been scrapped unless your income from UK is less than 5,164.57 euros. If your income is up to 20,658.28 euros you now have to pay a percentage at 7.5%. So the rise is up to 1,549.37 euros. Quite a rise.
Thoughts please. Our ASL man said this is in Abruzzo region, so unsure if it is rolled out through Italy.
Is private insurance likely to work out better?
If you are employed here, not in the black, and your Italian employer registers you for tax and insurance purposes, could you then access the SSN system without paying such a high sum.
May have to start thinking about working again.

Offline rsetzer99

Re: New voluntary contribution rates for health care
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 10:32:01 AM »
The 7.5 rate has, as far back as I can find, been the official voluntary participation rate. (For Americans at least) The application various from region to region and province to province. I have friends in Umbria who report that they have decided on 7.5% of US social security income, presumably because this is an easily verified figure that does not require them to collect extra paperwork.

Offline Wheppy

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 10:47:08 AM »
Thanks for that info. As I understand it we in UK are still part of European Union ( at the moment). Unsure how they can impose this with reciprocal agreement between European countries still in place.
After 5 yrs of residency will this still remain in place?

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 10:49:41 AM »
Good timing on this as we are going to be writing up about this. Our first meeting with the head of Asl for the Chieti region was a quick one but informative. We are going to confirm a few things but we have been told and since used this system that if you are a UK citizen (may change after Brexit) and have earnings of up to E20,000 you pay 3%, if you earn over that then you pay 7% of the part over this sum. If you have no income you pay a very small amount and in some cases free. If you work here then it is free as you go into the system.

These rates are for people who do not claim a UK state pension, if you do then you can get an S1 form from the UK and healthcare is then free.

We need to meet again to clarify a few things but this was what we were told.

I understand people outside of the Eurozone pay a higher percentage.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:54:00 AM »
We are aiming to get our contact to put the correct information in writing, as soon as he does I will post it on here.

Offline Wheppy

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
Thanks VV.
Await Chieti confirmation....which is likely to differ to Pescara? Or will it be Abruzzo wide?
Reading around this, if I register for work or do indeed do some work and pay a contribution from my salary then I am automatically in and eligible to use the SSN here?
Any one know the answers on these here?

Offline Wheppy

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 11:38:56 AM »
Page 6 on the archeo salute.it information page states the below:

Foreign citizens with regular stay permit and their regularly staying dependent family mem- bers are entitled to the same treatment, rights and responsibilities as Italian citizens with refe- rence to contributory burden and the health ca- re provided in Italy by the National Health Ser- vice (SSN). This right has the same validity in time of the stay permit. In order to obtain health as- sistance, registration with the SSN is required. Registration can be either mandatory or vo- luntary.
Mandatory registration
Foreign citizens who meet the requirements provided by law are beneficiaries of mandatory health insurance, namely they have the right to register with the Natio- 5 nal Health Service.
Mandatory registration – or by-right registration – is guaranteed to citizens sta-
ying for work, family, international protection, citizenship wait, fostering or adop-
tion. In particular, the reasons to stay that qualify for mandatory registration with
the SSN are:
 REMEMBER
The Italian Law recognises the right to health as a fundamental human right. Regularly staying foreign citizens are fully entitled to the same treatment and civil rights as Italian citizens. People registered with the National Health Service are guaranteed full assistance under the same conditions of Italian citizens.
• Self-employment and employment (also seasonal) or registration with the employment office
• Awaiting employment
request
• Political asylum
• Humanitarian asylum, including:
• Stay permit for social protection
• Under-18 minors
• Extraordinary reception measures for exceptional events
• Stay permit for international or subsidiary protection
• Adoption wait (no stay permit is issued

GUIDE TO THE NATIONAL HEALTH SERVICE

Offline herbfinder

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 10:04:16 AM »
We also inquired into the voluntary contribution for health care and we contacted ASL to confirm if the rates had changed from last year using the information suggested within this thread, here is their response :-

Good morning,
the relevant legislation is the Ministerial Decree of 8.10.1986 for the voluntary registration that fixes the percentage in the measure of 7.50% calculated on the total income of the previous year for incomes up to € 20658.27 and a further 4% from € 20658.28 up to 51645.68.
The contribution can not however be lower than € 387.34.The registration expires on December 31st.
If you want to proceed you will have to show up at the counter with:
1) Tax code;
2) Payment based on total income (7.50% up to € 20658.27 and 4% for the excess up to the limit of € 51645.68 and in any case not less than € 387.34) on no. c / c 2514880 postal payable to treasury service asl 2 launches-vast-causal chieti:
3) identity document
4) at the counter it is necessary to self-certify (DPR December 28th 2000, n.445) the total income and the
residence.

Registration is valid for the calendar year (2018) and the amount paid also includes the registration of dependent family members.

We had asked for confirmation of the new rates but according to this email there are no changes. Any thoughts?

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »
 Great detailed information!

From what I have read the ASL is funded regionally and can differ from region to region. I’ve also read that some regions (rightly or wrongly) will not allow voluntary contributions at all. I have often read of people only paying circa €350 per year, but others paying well over €1000. I think it is either a case of the region not knowing the rules on this or having the ability within the law/rules to set their own rate, but it has at least to be the minimum allowed. It would seem here in Abruzzo they are now adhering to the set percentage rate, which from what I have read in the past has been there for some years. So perhaps they are just catching up?

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 12:37:30 PM »
Are these rates for Europeans? We have American clients who were quoted this but Europeans were quoted as I posted. All very confusing!

Offline Wheppy

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 12:45:48 PM »
Thanks VV. This is what we want to clarify.

Offline Wheppy

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 12:46:58 PM »
After 5 yrs of residency are voluntary contributions waived?

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 01:12:46 PM »
I think it likely they have freedom to do what they like with non-EU people, but they will be tied by EU rules for EU nationals, so whatever Italians pay, others from the EU will pay. I've seen these rates officially somewhere, so will try to dig the site up again.

Offline herbfinder

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2018, 09:49:48 AM »
When we inquired we mentioned we were British and had residency. it's frustrating to have so many conflicting sources, it makes it difficult to budget and make plans.