Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Snow shovels to the ready!  (Read 14254 times)

Offline Rustychain

Re: Snow shovels to the ready!
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 09:31:52 AM »
Thanks for the tip VV. Unfortunately, for reasons that aren't clear, our water meter & tap are ~ 60m from the house & we don't have an extension lead long enough to get a hairdryer down there. But, the meter faces south & even though it's bitterly cold, I was hoping that the sun might just about pack enough wallop to free it. I'd just about completed that thought when I heard one of the cisterns filling & we're back in business! A lucky escape!
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline scrittore

• It's not my fault!
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 10:10:50 AM »
Fab photo VV, never tire of seeing those mountains.... and fab photo of the mimosa GB, they always look lovely with such a backdrop. Thanks for sharing.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
Thanks for the tip VV. Unfortunately, for reasons that aren't clear, our water meter & tap are ~ 60m from the house & we don't have an extension lead long enough to get a hairdryer down there. But, the meter faces south & even though it's bitterly cold, I was hoping that the sun might just about pack enough wallop to free it. I'd just about completed that thought when I heard one of the cisterns filling & we're back in business! A lucky escape!

Rusty a lot of places around here pump water up hill and that being the case they may have cut off the water over night to stop any freezing at source well before your house. But just in case I would check the meter is okay at some point.Good to hear you are back on tap..

Offline the wrong side of the valley

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 01:40:22 PM »
In Norwich today.  Norfolk being one of the flatter regions, it is still possible to snowboard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRVdk0IFyfY

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2018, 03:27:49 PM »
Rusty a lot of places around here pump water up hill and that being the case they may have cut off the water over night to stop any freezing at source well before your house.

That's interesting Geordie; our meter is indeed some way below the house & that would explain it coming back on quickly; with sun-melt I'd expect it to come back slowly (with hindsight of course!).

Thanks!

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 08:52:16 AM »
Surprised to wake up to another good dusting this morning. I would say we had about 3cm in Loreto Aprutino. A number of schools are closed again  :)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 11:06:11 AM »
Same here in Montefino. This snow is wetter (better for snowballs😉) and it’s not as cold as it has been. It’s stopped snowing now but the sky looks full so we may have a bit more to come.

How are things back in UK? Hearing reports of quite heavy snowfall and the usual ensuing chaos.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »
Think it is bad in the UK this time around as looking at a couple of places we have family it is reporting wind chill temperatures in excess of -20c . That's without looking at anywhere in Scotland!

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 12:31:12 PM »
We had another 3 or 4 cms overnight but it's quite bright at the moment & I think that's our lot for now, going by the various forecasts.

Offline Cassius

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 07:19:54 PM »
South Devon several centimeters and has snowed none stop for 7 hours and no sign of stopping......

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2018, 02:42:56 PM »
Reporting from Dartmoor it has finally stopped blowing a gale and the roads look okish but still schools shut no post etc! Never been so cold as yesterday in UK.
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2018, 04:57:19 PM »
I checked our forecasts at 6pm on Tuesday & it was saying -18 for the overnight low, revised from the earlier prediction of -15. I don't know how cold it got, but if it got anywhere near that it would be quite something. I seem to remember that last summer maxed-out at 43C so that would give us 12 monthly temperature range of practically 60C. Move over Winnipeg!

Offline Lui

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2018, 06:05:23 PM »
Yes, quite a range. One seems to spend (not necessarily consecutively) 3 months of the year desperately trying to keep warm, 3 months of the year desperately trying to keep cool and 6 months when it's like baby bear's porridge...just right :-)

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2018, 06:41:17 PM »
 ;D great post Lui.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline MIKE

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2018, 02:13:02 PM »
Hi guys, hope your enjoying the snow down there in Abruzzo.   We've had about 100mm (4") here in Solihull UK. in the last two days.   A useful tip I picked up, that works & makes shovelling sticky snow easier.   Is spray your shovel both sides with WD 40 or a similar product before you start.   It helps the snow to slide off your shovel.    Happy shovelling, hope it helps!!!!