Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Internet  (Read 1397 times)

Offline PJM

Internet
« on: February 03, 2018, 08:39:20 PM »
Hi I know this has probably been discussed but I don't seem to be able to find the answers. I have a mobile internet box (don't know the proper name ) I am with TIM. It's great for picking up e mails and guests use it. I top it up for 12 months but it does run out well before the 12 months, I usually put on 100 euros and it can't be used for films etc . I am now thinking of having the internet connected to the house ..any help? I don't have an Italian bank account to pay by direct debit( I did but it was costly ) I use paypal for my electric bills. Pamela

Offline GeordieBorn

Re: Internet
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:59:19 PM »
If you do not have a landline you are looking at what you already have (mobile broadband) or wifi ADSL. The latter will depend on who (if any) cover your house. Likely one of this lot WADSL or Connetti here. I'm sure there is another major player in the South which others may be able to advise. Think the problem will be they will want a DD for payment. Best thing to do is to find out who your immediate neighbours use as it is likely they will have the best coverage. Note this can go down to the house level never mind street level or area.

Offline Lui

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 09:46:05 AM »
Even with a landline you're not guaranteed to be able to get the internet on it. We have a landline but we're too far out in the sticks for it to be of use. We had satellite internet for years as there wasn't an alternative until last year when Micso put in a new transmitter and we could connect to them. We don't pay by direct debit, we simply get a paper bill every two months and pay at the post office. I'm pretty sure that with Micso you can arrange to pay online. Here's their website      http://micso.it/v2/isp.htm   

Offline Lui

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 09:57:24 AM »
I've just dug out a bill and if you're interested the phone number for Micso  is  +39 085 7996598    or email them on  info@micso.it     I've emailed a few times in English and google translated Italian and usually get a response within 24 hours.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 11:05:44 AM »
Think you will find Micso and WADSL are the same thing... The link I give has a menu item "copertura" (coverage) to find out how good thir coverage is to your house. Oviously the landline option is only if they have broadband to your area (I'm guessing where you are you probably don't, nor have the landline). However there is a big government push in Italy at the moment to install fibre (better again) and they are providing the likes of TIM (as in ex Telecom) with big bucks. I doubt this will cover all the remote hilly villages, but it's likely they will help these areas with better wifi distribution. Basically what I'm saying is there may be much better deals in the not too distant future.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 12:05:15 PM »
We use Micso and they are excellent in our area. Depending where you live an engineer will come out and test to see if you can get it. If you are any where near to Casoli I know the engineer very well so I can help if needed.

WADSL refers to wireless broadband
ADSL is wired broadband

I dont think there is a company called WADSL but could be wrong.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline PJM

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »
Thanks so much for all the helpful information.The house is in Capestrano so not that remote!
 Pamela
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 08:18:08 PM by PJM »

Offline Berti

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 09:29:51 PM »
We are out of reach for a connection with Micso but the engineer came out tested and offered alternative solution via sky tooway. We pay by dd via credit card with no problems. Can access bills, usage etc on line too

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 11:52:16 AM »
PJM
Some basic things to look out for.
Data allowance = Amount of data download allowed per/mth (or any other period limit), if stated unlimited, that the T&Cs don’t have a real limit. Often used to be 10GB, which in this day and age is useless for video download e.g. TV, Youtube and videos on Facebook etc. But would be okay for anything else.
Download speed = how fast data comes to your device, anything under 2Mb/second again would be a problem for video and may impact other normal web stuff. What they quote I would take off 50-70% as they use top-end stats to lie!
Upload speed I would ignore unless you do a lot of photo or even worse, video uploading to the web/cloud.

So, looking at the attached cheapest option from Micso, they are saying you would get 7Mb/second download and 1Mb/second upload. They do not quote any limit and I would guess there is none BUT I would check their T&Cs and if nothing there, then ask them to put that in writing. However I do not think you would have a problem in this day and age accepting there in NO allowance/month limit.
Around €23/month (inc IVA) payment. Not paying by credit card means €99 activation fee instead of €69. Installation looks to be free unless they need more cable for your house. The wireless router is “optional”, so you NEED one and they will supply at a cost. Find out what make it is and the cost, then see how much you can buy one for if you would be happy setting it up. They cost anything from £20 on Amazon up to £100s for the best.

Offline PJM

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 11:18:41 AM »
Thank you for all your replies re internet. Misco have been very helpful and I was hoping to have it them install the internet in a few weeks time, but I am now concerned as I have just seen this http://www.iteuropa.com/?q=misco-operations-cease-trading-spain-and-italy.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 02:09:15 PM »
Thank you for all your replies re internet. Misco have been very helpful and I was hoping to have it them install the internet in a few weeks time, but I am now concerned as I have just seen this http://www.iteuropa.com/?q=misco-operations-cease-trading-spain-and-italy.

Don't worry PJM, it's a different company Misco did network stuff, you are going with Micso here

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
Micso and Fastweb are popular in the Chieti region. Being hilly, one needs good line of sight to where the tower is. We have had Micso for just over a year now and get a reliable 7-10Mbs stream. This is more than enough to stream in HD. The upload is about 2, but this does not really matter to most people. Cost is 40eu a month, billed every two months. Outages are rare, it when they do it seems it might be due to a mechanical issue at the tower and you have to wait for a tech to wander out from Pescara. I use my own router, as I wanted a more powerful one so my signal is avail through out the house.

Offline PJM

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2018, 01:16:56 AM »
Ok came out got Micso to the house and they couldn't get a signal ..wrong side of the hill!! so thank you for all your help, went down to a neighbour and he has put me in touch with the company he uses but they said they would intsall 15 days after I sign a contract ..not possible as I am now back in the Uk so will look at this when I am out longer in the Autumn. Just a thought I have a a telephone line to the house no in use at the moment ..maybe asking a stupid question but can't I get the internet through this ..maybe the cost?

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
By the sounds of it I doubt you will get ADSL over a phone line, check here on TIM for coverage.

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2018, 10:58:07 AM »
Fastweb is really pushing their service in this region. Friend in Tornarecchio bought in and found the speeds roller coaster. During non peak times, it flys, but during peak times the speeds are down to unusable due to endless buffering pauses on TV.

There are 4g dongles that are advertised that will cost anywhere from 5-8EU a day, pretty pricy. If TIM,Wind, ect are at all like Vodaphone, they are constantly offering unlimited data for video packages. The catch is that it has to be in 420P max speed, which all in all is not terrible. The minimum true HD is 720. You can tinker with devices so that they throttle down the speed to 420. For general web surfing, the 3 gig they give you a month is plenty for normal use.