Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: GPL Cars  (Read 964 times)

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
GPL Cars
« on: January 28, 2018, 11:06:17 AM »
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of GPL cars? I'm aware they are a lot cheaper to run, but do they need more regular servicing, do the engines last as long as a say a conventional petrol engine?

Any info, good or bad would be appreciated, as I know very little about them.

Thanks

Offline Rustychain

Re: GPL Cars
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »
No personal experience but friends of ours had a GPL car out here & they drove it back to the UK once a year for a service / MOT. That suggests that servicing is no more troublesome.

Just guessing, but I wouldn't have thought that the change of fuel would adversely affect reliability / servicing at all.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline Brush Strokes

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:22:08 PM »
No personal experience but friends of ours had a GPL car out here & they drove it back to the UK once a year for a service / MOT. That suggests that servicing is no more troublesome.

Just guessing, but I wouldn't have thought that the change of fuel would adversely affect reliability / servicing at all.

Thanks, useful to know. I have been doing a little digging and surprised how popular gas cars are in the UK. For some reason I always thought it was something that never really caught on in the UK.  :-\

Offline Nickyl

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 12:59:48 AM »
We have a GPL van that was originaly unleaded petrol.  Itís now dual fuel as you switch automatically between them.  The car we have is a 4.3 ltr Chevrolet Astro.  Very thirsty and expensive to run only on petroleum but running it on lPG/GPL means we pay the equivalent of  car doing more than 40 miles a gallon. (Motorway better)

The van is very powerful and the loss of power from GPL is not significant.

The van is 1997 and LHD.  Itís been ours for about 50000 miles and any problems we have had have not been GPL related.  We have had the GPL system serviced in Italy and there were a number of places to choose from.

We choose to do MOT and servicing once a year in U.K. more because the car is rare and parts are more easily obtained in u.k. 

The only downer I can think of is not using Chanel tunnel.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 08:24:55 AM »
Our company car which we bought from new is a punto GPL, it can also take unleaded. In GPL mode it is very cheap to run, E20 fills it up. It is very very sluggish on steep hills and you often find yourself in 1st gear but I blame the punto for this, it is too heavy for its engine size. Runs quicker on unleaded and with air conditioning off but there is no doubt you save a lot on fuel bills.
As for servicing we are a bit naughty with this and dont do it as we should do and to be fair the car is still running strong after 8 years.
If you can get a light car I would say it would be excellent.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline old timer

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 02:51:44 PM »
Hi brush strokes,  the reason GLP never caught on was as it was developing and cars had to be converted, unlike now in Europe where you can puy a new car from the factory already converted. The UK government put up the tax on GLP which made is not economical to convert unless you had a large engine doing a high milage.  In the UK i belive you also need to be gas certified. There was a garage near to were we live but after the tax rise it closed down.

Offline Brush Strokes

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 06:57:07 PM »
Thanks very much for the information. Always good to hear about personal experiences. I think with the mileage I do, gas is the way to go. I assume it just takes a little time to get used to driving it and making sure you don't need gas on a Sunday!  :)

Thanks again.

Offline iggle piggle

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 09:32:14 PM »
We have a new Opel Corsa which runs on GPL/petrol.  It costs 18 euros to fill up on gas.  Even if you're not near a petrol station with GPL it doesn't matter, it automatically switches to petrol and you can just put petrol in.  You can easily locate stations which have GPL on the internet.
The power is not fantastic but I do a lot of mileage and so efficiency is more important.   

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 10:59:04 PM »

Our friends had a GPL Land Rover Discovery 3; hard to imagine a heavier car & they were happy with it.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 07:46:35 AM »
Not GPL but a related subject?  We have a hybrid electric / petrol car (Toyota Yaris) which is super economical and we are very happy with it.  Italy is way behind the curve on introducing totally electric infrastructure but a hybrid solves that problem. Converting an existing car is one thing but anyone interested in buying a new one should consider a hybrid - I think...
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »

Our friends had a GPL Land Rover Discovery 3; hard to imagine a heavier car & they were happy with it.

Probably should have said light in terms of weight to engine ratio. Our company Punto is useless, in fact I would say most of the fiat basic range are useless going up hills, especially the fiat 500, the 1 litre version is terrible. I don't think a land rover discovery has the same problem, we are talking about opposite ends of the scale!
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 02:54:06 PM »
i have seen adverts for conversion to a petrol car to GPL costing 500 euros. It would be much more in the UK. Anyone tried one of these places?
a third rate mind follows the crowd