Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Stuart Collins Car Insurance  (Read 1753 times)

Offline old timer

Re: Stuart Collins Car Insurance
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »
My understanding is if you are a resident and owning and driving a UK regardless of insurance you are potentially in trouble unless you can prove when you bought the car into italy.
Have a look at the EU regulations https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/index_en.htm

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 10:56:09 AM »
My understanding is if you are a resident and owning and driving a UK regardless of insurance you are potentially in trouble unless you can prove when you bought the car into italy.
Have a look at the EU regulations https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/index_en.htm

Very good link and the subsequent link at the bottom for specifically  "Italy" is worth a read. Of course as with anything like this you still have to at times convince the authorities here that this is correct!

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 04:17:39 PM »
If you are resident here then obviously that is a whole new thing. You should also change your licence after 12 months.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Venatore

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »
So,
If I spend 6 months in the Uk and 6 in Italy on 3 month cycles where do I stand?
And what about my 1959 Land Rover which in the UK is of an age that it no longer requires a MOT or tax to legally drive on the road. Can I still drive with impunity in italy and park it outside my Italian house?
V.

Online Rustychain

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 08:04:39 PM »
You need to speak to your insurers & establish the facts!
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 09:11:03 PM »
So,
If I spend 6 months in the Uk and 6 in Italy on 3 month cycles where do I stand?
And what about my 1959 Land Rover which in the UK is of an age that it no longer requires a MOT or tax to legally drive on the road. Can I still drive with impunity in italy and park it outside my Italian house?
V.
The link “Old Timer” provided gives what I would say is the “more legal position”, one much more relevant than any members view point on here. That said the very same link talks about “you” as opposed to a “vehicle”. So you are fine, but the car is illegal if it does not go back and forwards to the UK...  :-\ 

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 12:01:18 AM »
Oh! Yes, old timer's link is good - but it's only valid so long as the UK remain in the EU. (We won't discuss this just now!)

In fact, old timer's (EU specific) rule is more favourable, in that you can run a UK reg car in Italy even while an Italian resident for 12 months. If Brexit happens, this (I believe) will revert to six months, since we'll be back to Geneva convention rules.