Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Stuart Collins Car Insurance  (Read 3365 times)

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
Stuart Collins Car Insurance
« on: January 24, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »
An early warning for those of you who drive here in Abruzzo with a UK registered car and are insured through the brokers Stuart Collins. When you come to renew your policy, you will be informed you now need a current UK MOT certificate and UK road tax and not have your vehicle SORN'd. They no longer accept the equivalent to an Italian MOT.

A bit of a blow for many I would think and sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

If this subject doesn't get Linseed's tits out nothing will  :D. Come on Linseed you know it makes sense.  ;)

Offline linsead oil

Re: Stuart Collins Car Insurance
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
ok iam still alive and kicking 
and yes this makes me verry happy  the fact that people need to comply with the laws of the land , when it comes to car insurance to many people  have been desiving them selfs  , and when some ones life could be ruined by it its not funny
ps i am still dislexec  and you will have to put up with it , oh and i am still a grumpy old git

Offline tobylap

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:20:56 PM »
Sure have missed you  ;D

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 12:32:26 PM »
Lovely to see you again linseed, you’ve been missed😉

Offline superman

• van2europe
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2018, 12:54:45 PM »
It is illegal to drive a car which is on a sorn abroad. It has to be road legal for the country it is registered in. Simple as,
 if anybody needs a car shipped back for its test i have a car trailer.
Good to see you on here Roy the forum is not the same
European courier and UK Italy removals

email: van2europe@gmail.com

tel: 3334711118 (Italy)    07925 346046 (UK)

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2018, 03:31:12 PM »
Yes, good to see you back Linseed! Hope you're both well...

Re Stuart Collins, we spoke to them as some length last summer when our policy with them came up for renewal. Specifically we asked them about the legality of driving a UK car in Italy without a valid MOT. They were adamant that it is legal, unlike Saga (& others that we spoke to) who said it wouldn't work with their policy.

We even got Stuart Collins to put it in writing. They did say that it might be advisable to get a "safety certificate" from an Italian garage to show to the police in the event of an accident but it isn't a legal requirement. We have been stopped by the Polizia twice for a document check & our paperwork has always satisfied them.

If Stuart Collins have changed their policy then that is fine, but to say that people have been deceiving themselves isn't necessarily true. We are confident that our policy with them is legal & would withstand up to scrutiny in the event of a claim. We actually made a claim on the policy a few years ago when the car was broken into in Napoli & they paid out without hesitation.

In light of this development we'll be looking elsewhere in the Summer though!
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline inoniente

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »
Welcome back Linseed. The man on the white horse charging back over the skyline to save us all. Thank you! Stick around now you are here.

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 08:43:38 PM »
thank you my good freind will we see you again this summer

Offline inoniente

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 12:22:28 PM »
We will be around in March and completely legal, so will be in touch then. Good to know you are still on the alert!

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 07:56:01 PM »
Welcome back linsead!
We no longer have a UK car but I must say thatI checked and checked with Stuart collins and got a letter from Axa confirming that cover was fine. All I needed to do (which they told me) was to have a safety check done here with a MOT station. At the end of the day it is only illegal if the insurance company say you are not covered, if AXA (who they use) say you cannot do it then you cannot. If they have now changed their policy then people will have to look carefully at the new arrangements.

I never claimed with Stuart collins but I know a couple who got paid out on a fault claim with no problem using the safety certificate method and no tax. This was around 2 years ago so people do need to check every year.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2018, 10:15:34 PM »
what about the bollo

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2018, 11:25:43 PM »
Good to see you back linseed.

Probably (also) the consideration of whether you are resident in Italy enters into this question.

I agree with Superman and linseed that if you (resident or not) are driving a SORNd UK car ANYWHERE then it isn't legal (but that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't insured). If I was the insurer I would refuse the claim, (on the basis that your car was not legal on any roads worldwide), but other insurers might not.

If you are resident in Italy, and driving a UK SORNd car, if I was the carabiniere who pulled you up I would confiscate the car. I would also not let you have it back until you had converted your UK driving licence to an Italian one, and re-registered your car (at considerable cost) onto Italian plates.

But - and we have all benefited from this - Italians are very generous. Try running an IT reg car in the UK, and one day after six months you will have a rather unfriendly UK cop banging on your door. For this reason alone I think we should try, as far as possible, to be entirely legal about this stuff.

I do understand the absolute frustration of not being able to own an Italian registered 'banger' unless you are resident. That is crazy, and counterproductive. But to run a SORNd UK car you are basically evading paying UK car tax, and that's a pretty offensive tiny saving IMO.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 12:39:46 AM »
I do think Relaxed these days can talk a load of pap! However in this instance is spot on, come on play the game... But if it's all got Linseed and a lot more off their fat ass... well ... "where is that couch Linseed used to hide behind"..

Offline old timer

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 05:33:18 PM »
Very pleased to see your input linseed. It has been greatly missed.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 06:56:04 PM »
Relaxed has hit the nail on the head. There could be people here who genuinely meet the requirements that enable them to drive a car here and there could be others running along the grey lines. At the end of the day the minimum legal requirement to drive in Europe is insurance. If you have this there is not a lot anyone can do. We can all say that we passed the border of france after 6 months and spent time in france or any other eu country and no one would know any different unless the police have been outside your house for 1 year taking photos every day. Is this right? Is this legal? Well its all down to interpretation BUT if you have onsirance cover and you are NOT a resident here then I would be more than happy to drive around in a car that followed the old rules of Stuart Collins.

The original poster has said that they are changing their stance on this so be aware and check your legal status.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk