Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Ryanair’s New Carry-On Bag Policy from 15th Jan 18  (Read 1649 times)

Offline GeordieBorn

Ryanair’s New Carry-On Bag Policy from 15th Jan 18
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:14:21 PM »
Another attempt to woo passengers by Ryanair - link here ::)

Offline nil satis

Re: Ryanair’s New Carry-On Bag Policy from 15th Jan 18
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 03:21:51 PM »
i saw this yesterday and initially thought what a cheek, but actually its not so bad and it might mean flights get off on time rather than have people scrambling to find luggage space. But one tip and note to self, do not leave your passport in the bag that goes in the hold :)

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 03:28:39 PM »
We use RyanAir and see it as having little choice. We have used other routes, but normally they simply take longer and involve more hassle.
I have my doubts this change will save time and certainly won’t initially as there will be chaos with the Italians at Stansted and a lot of shouting with some Brits. RyanAir are obviously aware of this judging by the number of misleading missives they have issued to tell people. Hopefully some of this will have died down by the time we next use them. Following the initial issues I’m not too sure how they are going to work this, depending on how they do it, it may save no time at all if people have to pick up cases at the other end from the hold luggage retrieval point.
I suspect somewhere tied in with this is the fact he cannot now charge a fee for credit cards and he need to recoup his money somehow. Yes, I know he is saying hold baggage is cheaper and up to 20kg, but in reality these charges are minimum and certainly with Pescara they will be higher. He has also put up the price to book seating and removed the “priority” status for those “first on board” seats booked. All this will more than cover the money lost ripping you off for credit cards. Roll on the next attack on him by the authorities for his hidden charges.
Don’t get me wrong, I think the cost of flying with them is cheap, in fact very cheap if you buy at the right time. But I would willingly pay a bit more upfront for a little honesty. I think ALL airlines should have to show the total amount for a standard flight, booked seat and at least one hand/hold luggage alongside any headline price!
Rant over (for now), but you never know it might bring Linseed and his tits out of retirement to tell me off – if not, do hope he is okay…

Offline Red Mistral

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 05:38:32 PM »
This is further evidence of their obliviousness to what annoys people. The recent policy to deliberately separate people on the same booking, thus making many pay to sit together, shows that they don’t seem to get it that if they simply raised the ticket price by a couple of quid, no one would notice! It wasn’t that long ago when the company stated that they didn’t want hold luggage as it slowed things down and cost money!
That said, if you look at the overall price for the ticket and the fact that it’s basically a bus service, it’s still a very usable link to UK. If you want to travel to other airports than Stansted, Rome is quite doable, and I can recommend Blue Air to Liverpool.

Offline Lui

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 06:25:41 PM »
I've used Ryanair and Blue Air. Couldn't see any difference at all really. If you want to be pampered fly Alitalia for mega bucks. As RM said it's basically a bus service and having accepted that it's not catering to the jetset that suits me fine. The only time I'll badmouth Ryanair is if they pull out of Pescara.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 11:45:55 PM »
I'm with nil satis on this one. I've used Ryanair (mostly on domestic Italian flights) and when they have intercepted me on the staircase up to the plane and asked me whether I'd like to put my 'cabin baggage' in the hold I've said 'thanks very much'!

Yes, you have to wait for the baggage claim, but on a recent trip into Stansted (even with special assistance which one companion needed, which meant we were on a serious fast track), the baggage was there ahead of us. To me it's a no brainer, and I see it as an improvement in Ryanair customer service, rather than a downside. The only snag is understanding it (and keeping your passport in your pocket/handbag/manbag).

Offline Mike E

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2018, 08:17:30 AM »
We have really only ever used Ryanair, either to Pescara or Ancona. Generally you get what you pay for and if there is a problem you know you are really on your own.

We usually pay for Priority simply to avoid the crush of people pushing a shoving to get their bags, some of which are huge, as close their seats as possible even though they boarded last.

This new policy whilst adding cost for some might make the boarding process somewhat faster. My only fear is that if too many customers choose the new priority route, then there will be no priority so look forward to ‘Priority Plus’ at some stage.

Offline Cesare Rinato

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2018, 03:28:07 PM »
Let me declare my position up front, so you don't have to read the rest of this. I am a fan of Ryanair I don't think it would have been possible for me to live in Abruzzo if it wasn't for them. I flew back from Glasgow to Pescara yesterday. I booked the flights last week so it was at short notice. As you may know, Ryanair cancelled all flights between STN and Glasgow or Edinburgh late last year. As a result I had to Fly EasyJet from GLA to STN  and then Ryanair from STN to PSR. The basic cost for the 2 and a bit hour flight from STN to PSR with Ryanair was £28. The less than 1 Hour flight from GLA to STN  cost £147. The Easyjet flight left on time but arrived late. ( not as late as usual, but later than the pilot and the timetable promised ) The Ryanair flight left 40 minutes late and still arrived ahead of time.  I don't know the reason why we took off late but as far as I know it wasn't due to problems with the passengers boarding, which seemed to be handled pretty efficiently by the staff at the gate.

Incidentally, I was on a flight a few months ago which developed a technical fault at Pescara airport.  Ryanair managed to get another plane in from Barcelona and we took off just over 3 hours late. Ryanair sent me an e-mail the next day suggesting I claim on my travel insurance, which I ignored and claimed directly from the Ryanair website. They paid out the statutory £250 within a few days. 

I can't help but feeling we are kidding ourselves about Ryanair. As has been said above it is just a bus with wings. I get on. Put on my headphones, then I get off the other end. Nearly always at the time I expect too which is all I want from a bus service. It's not about the glamour of international jet setting any more. I can't remember flying with Alitalia but a few years ago I  flew economy with B.A and everything seemed much the same as Ryanair except the colour scheme and the price. I even read somewhere that BA are stopping economy seats from reclining on short haul flights

Incidentally, on a similar topic is it me or is Stansted getting better? The last couple of times I have been through security seemed much faster. Several times I haven't had time to take my belt off first. Even the people at passport control seemed to have figured out how to switch on extra machines
A hairy man who is scant of hair

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 09:01:34 PM »
We use RyanAir and see it as having little choice. We have used other routes, but normally they simply take longer and involve more hassle.
I have my doubts this change will save time and certainly won’t initially as there will be chaos with the Italians at Stansted and a lot of shouting with some Brits. RyanAir are obviously aware of this judging by the number of misleading missives they have issued to tell people. Hopefully some of this will have died down by the time we next use them. Following the initial issues I’m not too sure how they are going to work this, depending on how they do it, it may save no time at all if people have to pick up cases at the other end from the hold luggage retrieval point.
I suspect somewhere tied in with this is the fact he cannot now charge a fee for credit cards and he need to recoup his money somehow. Yes, I know he is saying hold baggage is cheaper and up to 20kg, but in reality these charges are minimum and certainly with Pescara they will be higher. He has also put up the price to book seating and removed the “priority” status for those “first on board” seats booked. All this will more than cover the money lost ripping you off for credit cards. Roll on the next attack on him by the authorities for his hidden charges.
Don’t get me wrong, I think the cost of flying with them is cheap, in fact very cheap if you buy at the right time. But I would willingly pay a bit more upfront for a little honesty. I think ALL airlines should have to show the total amount for a standard flight, booked seat and at least one hand/hold luggage alongside any headline price!
Rant over (for now), but you never know it might bring Linseed and his tits out of retirement to tell me off – if not, do hope he is okay…
well how could i not rise to that bait lol
but iam not the avid ryaian air fan i once was , for one we had to cancell two flights at last minuet do to criss going into hospital two days before , dully sent of hospital reports ect nothing lots of cals leters emails  nothing a holes the lot of them
then how they left people all over the world by canceling  flights feck em  i  shal fly kia sorento from now on

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 03:58:07 PM »
Interesting article on the seating together issue.
http://info.moneywise.co.uk/HS?b=UBdOYnC3b9GvNkcO2XBXP7h4EKuROBfO-Y9tknVyPD8b-0o_o39rzTkrt_2sSbYx&c=mma01yaLfW8Fjad4EwTJNw

Shows Ryanair may be worst but they're not the only ones!

Offline RedSauce

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 04:52:33 PM »
aaah ............back in the day flying used to be a pleasure. Nowadays it is an absolute nightmare trying to make sure that you are only paying for what you want, every click you move onto the next field with trepidation to the point whereby you think 'do I really want to do this' ?

Tell me the price to get me from A to B and I'll decide whether I want to go or not, don't make it a challenge !

Linseed.............

Great to hear that you are hanging on in there (and here), you have so much still to share...............one word of caution............if you are 'flying' via your Kia Sorrento............watch out for the speed cameras !  ;D

RedS

Offline Lui

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 06:28:54 PM »
I'm getting really fed up with people bashing Ryanair. Let them close down and then see what your options are and how expensive it'll become. Their website is clear and easy to follow even for old duffers like us. Quite a lot of people probably wouldn't be here, in Abruzzo,  if it were not for Ryanair making it cheap and easy to fly back to the U.K. at the drop of a hat. As for air travel being a pleasure back in the day I remember in 1985 flying Manchester to Chicago with American Airlines (scheduled) we had to check in 3 hours before the flight and after a 10 hour flight we waited an hour and a half to get through immigration at O'Hare, which we were reliably informed was much quicker than could be expected at Kennedy N.Y.C. The only advantage flying in 'the old days' was that one could have a fag! It was always more expensive and drawn out. Also you couldn't do the booking, you'd have to go to a travel agent who would maybe give you 2 alternatives if you were lucky which may or may not have been the most economic, you never knew. At least now you can see the choices and make one. If you don't like the prices at Waitrose go to Aldi but don't expect the same range or quality. Leave Ryanair alone. We love 'em.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »
I think you will find that the 2-3 hours was to get all your free luggage in the hold...  ;D Whilst I really agree the old days were not that good in terms of price and being at the airport 2 hours before, that's about it! Even the latter is questionable with the security aspect these days. I bow down to Ryanair and am really grateful for them for staying in Pescara 'cos they make lots of money on it one way or another. I don't think for one moment we would be too put out if they left as it's a great route and would be filled by another airline. Oh and this is how good and clear the RA site is...

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 07:54:12 PM »
I'm not bashing Ryanair (I wouldn't have a house in Abruzzo if they'd never flown to Pescara) I just don't think any airline should be splitting up people on purpose - and by the look of it Emirates are almost as bad as Ryanair at doing it.

Offline randyhos

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 08:43:56 PM »
OK... I'm quiet on this forum, dropping by every so often just for fun... but - 

This post is comical! How in the world can aytone complain about a flight that costs less than a pack of beer and/or a sandwich! Seriously?
I'm no great fan of Ryanair, but as someone else said - if you want the fluff and pampering - go ahead, book Alitalia or some other "regular" carrier - then bitch about the cost! Cheap travel - that's all Ryan is... a plane under your butt.. nothing more.

Just my two cents worth - R  ;D