Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Keep going or close?  (Read 3606 times)

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
Re: Keep going or close?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 06:59:35 PM »
It would be a big shame if you closed it but if it takes up time and money then obviously it has to be a consideration. Maybe we need to argue a bit more  ;D That always gets the numbers up. Only joking!!

I think this setup is far better than Facebook, lots of people don't like facebook and some are even scared by it. This forum is a simple platform for many to use and IMO better for this type of discussion page.

Maybe we should all try and post something once a week to try and get it moving again. Shame there is no snow on the way, that's a great subject to get things going.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Venatore

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »
Well levi, i would say the consensus was fairly clear.
Yes it has been quiet of late but as mentioned before the archives are an excellent resource and it would be a shame to lose them. There may be the occasional battle of opinions but surely you get that anywhere. I remember when ifirst joined a question I posted inadvertently genereated some heated opinions and a member posted that they wondered what i must have made  of the ensuing exchange! well it didnt put me off so maybe what the forum needs now is a few polarising topics.
Any suggestions?
V.

Offline Essex Red

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »
It would be really sad if you did decide to close the forum. I have owned a house in Abruzzo for a number of years although I still live most of the time in England due to work and family commitments. I have little to post but have contributed when I can add to the discussion, however, I view the site nearly every day and find it to be an excellent way to keep in touch with what is happening. Even more important at times of concern e.g. Earthquakes or bad weather the contribution from other members is invaluable to find out what is really going on.
I hope you do decide to keep the forum open, your commitment is really appreciated and I am alo extremely grateful for the contribution from all forum members.

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 07:30:16 AM »
I still read the Forum (after 8 years here) although I will admit to posting less often.  I think many people are indeed going to FB for info (and chat) although it is much harder to search for past posts and discussions and so tends to be less of an archive of resources.  I would be sad to see this one close but I know how much time is involved and how it can be stressful when there are disagreements and spats between member. No reason why there can't be parallel resources by adding a FB group alongside this forum. Happy to set one up and post the info here for those who want to join. I don't want to volunteer to be the principal admin as I already manage far too many businesses and social media channels as it is but happy to get the ball rolling. For those of you who 'Don't do FB' it's time you started anyway.  Don't forget if you have a FB profile there is no obligation to upload pics or post any info - it can be used SOLEY for reading and researching.

I'd like to rephrase and add to my post. I don't think this forum should close. I know it's a lot of work but it still offers a valuable service and provides a community of sorts. My suggestion was to add a FB GROUP (not a page - and there is a difference) to run alongside and feed into the forum. The group can be private (members to be approved by admins only) and secret if necessary but there is an advantage to being easy to find. There is no need to have any notifications that clog up your newsfeed if you don't want them but maybe one of the reasons we have had fewer visitors is precisely because we have to remember to visit this forum to see if there is anything new and interesting. Personally I loathe the spats and if that's what generates activity and interaction then we are a load of sad sacks aren't we? There are already numerous Abruzzo FB groups of different sorts - many with our own members already participating. Why not start one of our own?
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 07:58:42 AM »
There have been a few mentions of 'spats' / arguments on this forum, but in my experience, that just isn't fair. When I joined 4 or 5 years ago then there were a LOT of spats but I believe that some undesirable elements were kicked out & I for one don't see it as being an issue any more & it hasn't been for quite some time. It's possible that I may miss some (I don't log on if I'm out of the country, for instance) but even then it can't be a big deal.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline Il Siberia

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 11:52:32 AM »
We don't post that often but regularly read what's going on. We found it a huge source of help when we bought our house in Abruzzo and still do, so would be sad to see it close. However, we appreciate it take's time and effort so as a FB user if that's an easier platform and one which would most people are happy with then happy for this to be along side/instead of this and we would make the transition. Belated NY resolution to self - post more! :)

Offline old timer

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2018, 08:49:22 PM »
I quite agree it would be a shame to close. I have read this forum for a number of years before I joined. I also don't post very often as. I don't live in Italy only come to our house for long holidays. But it has some very good information, which has been very helpful. Thanks to you all.

Offline IBarfoot

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2018, 11:11:34 PM »
I think this is my first post and it is a hope that this valuable resource will not disappear, I donít read it every day but it has been a great source of information and guidance whilst buying our renovation project (bomb site) in Abruzzo, Face book imho is the devils work , well at least one of his apprentices so certainly wonít be going there.
Long live Abruzzo lately.com

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
I value this site as others clearly do too and appreciate the efforts of all who run it and those that post useful tips and information. Thank you!

Offline Sunshine

« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 01:18:19 AM »
Hi Levi and all

Like some of the other members, we have had a house in Abruzzo for a few years, but still live most of the time in the UK.

The forum has been extremely useful on the few occasions that iíve asked for help. The rest of the time it has been a great place to pick up more information via everyone elseís posts.

Hopefully you will decide to keep it going, but I would understand if it stopped. I am very appreciative of the work, time and cost that goes into it, and would like to thank you for all your efforts.

Offline SALCIM

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »
I'm with many others on this - I'd really like it to continue, but do understand that it is a lot of work and expense for Levi. Our intention is to move to our house next year, so we'll then be "newbies" in the area and would value the forum. We don't contribute much but do regularly visit and glean much good information form the various posts. So, you can Levi, please keep it going!

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 06:00:40 PM »
The fact that Abruzzolutely is a 'traditional format' forum, which you can search easily, and find information posted many years ago, makes it much more useful than a Facebook group (or I think this is true, I've never tried searching a Facebook group!)
(Of course, given the speed with which Italian rules change, this can be dangerous if you come upon outdated info, so you need to be careful. But I used it just the other day to find contact info for Superman, and I wasn't even logged in.)

I'm fascinated by a few posters saying they like to have a look in if they are following feisty arguments. I'm completely convinced that a nice ongoing row is the biggest draw for any forum!

Anyway, it's up to Levi, because it's certainly her (and Dave's) creation, and if she feels that more 'modern' versions of social media have rather overtaken the forum format - or believes that the potential audience is diminishing because of fewer new people arriving in Abruzzo - then I don't think anyone is going to criticise her for pulling the plug.

Offline Cassius

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 08:59:51 PM »
A row is one of those things - you don't want to stare, you know it's not nice to stare, but you just can't help at the very least a peak!

Offline popinjaykev

• Popinjay pics
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 11:56:29 PM »
Apologies, I am also guilty of forum dipping, Strangely enough I was talking to a Canadian lady this evening about this forum and she had no idea it existed. I think all of us have had great advice passed on by so many members but it is also down to each of us to promote the forum and its services to others.

At the end of the day 'Levi' you have done us all an amazing service in keeping this going for so long, it must be really tiring but it would also be very sad to see it disappear. Thank you  ;)     
In All things be a witness and if necessary use words.

Offline 1215robbo

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2018, 01:59:11 PM »
we have been following abruzzolutely   forum for many years back when we thought we would be living in Italy but we lost all our money and the courts have been no help at all we still come out to Rosetta each year when we can. we still wish we were living out there but cant afforded it now.we still look up the forum most weeks and follow the story's.we don't like face book find it intrusive.hope you keep going.joan