Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Satellite internet  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
Satellite internet
« on: September 15, 2014, 04:05:09 PM »
I remember old threads about this and one of the members who do this but obviously I cannot look back, so my questions are;

Has anyone every used sat internet, is there anyone I should avoid ?
How reliable is it ?

I need faster internet than my TI connection and want to know is it much faster ?

I cannot use progetto suono because I am out of their range this is why I am looking at other options.

I have sky, does anyone know if there is a provider that can use the sky satellite ?

Last question, I am not very techno minded and I would like to know is 25gb per month of internet a lot ? I do not watch much TV and my main use is to upload things onto the site and general internet use.

Over to you
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

thediggers

Re: Satellite internet
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 04:24:22 PM »
Before you go off down that road, have a look at this if you are not downloading e.g. watching TV, then 25gb/month is more than enough for day to day use. Same site has a speed test under tools, but these need to be run a few times and I would try a couple, someone provided this LINK the other week on a different post (OlivOlye iPad I think...), likely worth looking at that post as well.

Offline Samps

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 04:33:09 PM »
Never used them, but I looked into Fastweb a couple of years ago, they use satellite and they were doing some sort of deal with Sky TV.
Have a look at their website for more info.

As I say, never used and know nothing about them apart from what I have read on their website
Holiday Home Service
Gardens and Property Maintenance

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
I thought about fastweb but I understand that they still do the internet via the usual TI cables.

Offline Samps

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »
Don't think so, as they say no more fees to TI? ? ? ?
Holiday Home Service

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 06:18:31 PM »
i dont know about gigabites or the like  , but we have  A S DL and there could be upo to 4 pooters  on line at  one time  watching film on ect   and it seems to  coap now  ive got rid  of   mr virus

Offline Shebar

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »
Could this be the problem???.....

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

I get a rather scrambled view of this data, perhaps because Italy is number 93 on the list.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 10:27:11 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with the company Tooway ? I am considering their package.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 09:29:27 AM »
Just bumping this thread again to see if anyone has had any experience with the company Tooway as I am considering taking out one of their packages.

Offline Nakiska12

• Majella Garden
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 10:01:01 AM »
Sorry, can't help you, we are just renewing our internet with micso, been pretty good all round i think.
Love many, trust a few, always paddle your own canoe….

www.homeaway.co.uk/1427729
Facebook - Majella Garden holiday apartment

Offline Samps

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 10:50:41 AM »
I do recall something about Tooway on the old forum. I can't recall exactly what was said, but I do remember it wasn't good, however as this was some ago, they may have improved??
Holiday Home Service

Offline Allan Mason

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 10:51:07 AM »
No experience of TooWay, but we nearly signed up. A member of the old forum offered installation for a short period, but then apparently moved on to fry bigger fish.

In the event, I was pleased that deal fell through because, in the months between asking for a dish to be installed and finally coming to the conclusion that it wasn't going to happen, I came across user forums where people were complaining about slow speed (likely due to contention) and unreliability.

Perhaps this was a transient problem that has since been resolved, but my understanding of the system suggests that it's unlikely service will improve with time. The satellite transmits in a series of roughly circular beam footprints covering Europe and every subscriber in the area covered by a particular footprint has to share a certain maximum available download bandwidth. So those who subscribe early on may have a wonderful download speed, but that may erode as time passes and more people connect.

As with all geostationary satellites, a signal from a consumer station has to travel roughly 36,000 km to the satellite and then 36,000 km back to the company's base station before it's on the internet proper. Responses obviously do the reverse trip. While I find it amazing that such things are possible at all, it also seems to me that the complexity and distances involved must make the system inherently much less reliable than something like Micso or the other WiFi-based internet providers active in rural Abruzzo.

We found Micso generally reliable and fast with the standard dish, but since we were a bit remote, we paid another €100 for a larger, circular dish. Once that was lined up correctly, our connection was rock solid and faster than the BT wired connection we now have in Wales.

Al

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 10:59:27 AM »
Does Misco use satellite or the existing phone line.

My problem at the moment is that I have used TI for many years and it has always been very good, recently it has slowed up and they say that the local exchange is not big enough to cope and the max I can get is 800KB, where as the reality at the moment is that I am getting much much less than that, it may come back to normal BUT the work I am doing now means I need a much faster internet, I do not need the massive 22mb quoted by Tooway but I do need something reasonable, I want to use Progetto Suono/Evo which is wireless BUT from my house I cannot see any of the towns they have a mast in, so my only option is satellite. Is Misco like Tooway or are they also wireless ?

Agent Orange

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »
Micso is wireless.

http://www.wadsl.it/wadsl/copertura.php

Looks like you might be covered.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »
I went onto their website and found out that they do not cover where I am.

I called Tooway up and for 25gb per month the price is E45 with speeds up to 22mb, I managed to speak to someone who seemed to tell the truth ! He said that it is almost impossible to get that speed and in some of the worst areas they expect 15mb, with storms etc down to 10mb, to be honest even at 5mb that would be fine as I am not getting that with Ti especially at the moment.

I was told that it costs E50 for the activation which includes the sat dish etc, then the first 3 months are E25 per month followed by E45 per month (this promo is not on their website, on the site it is E53) there is a 2 year contract and if you want to leave before then it costs you E144 plus you have to send it all back, if you leave after 2 years it costs E60 and you have to send the equipment back, he said usually they do not ask for the dish back.

What do you think ??