Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Giro D’Italia 2018  (Read 3205 times)

Offline GeordieBorn

Re: Giro D’Italia 2018
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2018, 10:33:18 PM »
In my opinion, starting the Giro D'Italia in Jerusalem is like endorsing the atrocities perpetrated on the men, women and children of Palestine. I can't actually believe no one else cares about this.
Like you say Shiny “your opinion”, Palestinians are people as are Jews and their land is troubled enough without adding to their woes. I may well agree with what you say, but why would I assume others are so shallow as to not know these things…  :(

Offline The Saint

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »
In my opinion, starting the Giro D'Italia in Jerusalem is like endorsing the atrocities perpetrated on the men, women and children of Palestine. I can't actually believe no one else cares about this.

I find it a shame when a happy, jolly, feel good discussion about a major sporting event happening in Abruzzo, has to be spoilt by someone's political views.

Anyway, I'm off to watch it in Penne on Tuesday 😊

Offline shiny beast

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »
It isn't a political view. It's a humanitarian view.
Blacksmith and general builder.

www.steveattwell.com

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2018, 09:34:40 AM »
You have to admit that starting the Giro D’Italia in any other country is a bit controversial, but then Australia took part in Eurovision.

Hope you all enjoy the next stage and for anyone who’s never seen it before, the cyclists whoosh past at amazing speed!

Offline nil satis

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 11:31:37 AM »
I watched the Tour de France in Chelmsford a few years ago  :)

Offline shiny beast

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »
I watched the Tour de France in Chelmsford a few years ago  :)
:) :) :) :)
Blacksmith and general builder.

www.steveattwell.com

Offline Cassius

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 09:45:08 PM »
It isn't a political view. It's a humanitarian view.

You're absolutely right - however this is sport/big business and unfortunately things like human rights quite often take a back seat.  Should one boycott the World Cup this year - held in one of the most totalitarian regimes in the world?   I personally felt insulted by the Olympics being held in China - I was the only person I knew who felt like that.  Sadly money talks louder than most things and you either try and enjoy things or you ignore them, feel superior but miss out.  Hey .....

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2018, 01:35:18 AM »
Congratulations to Chris Froome, a British winner!

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2018, 10:35:43 AM »
What amazes me is the lack of coverage in the UK media. Is it they don't want to look daft when it turns out he has lost his Spanis crown or have they already decided he is guilty? I don't really follow cycling, but this was in Italy and did have a great interest value in the way it turned out. Kind of well done I think too! But feel a bit sorry for Simon Yates :(

Offline Cassius

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2018, 12:51:01 PM »
I also felt for Yates - but Sky are such a good team that they saw the weakness and knew exactly how and where to attack.  Froome's ride was awesome.  Is he a drugs cheat?  Will he be allowed to ride in the Tour?  Will he be stripped of any of his wins?  I guess time will tell.  It is a shame because holding all three GT's is a really special achievement, but is it 100% clean?

Have to add that this year's Giro was an absolute S.O.B - what a third week - all those climbs for already really tired legs.

As for the UK press - yes - maybe they don't want to shout from the rooftops - just in case............