Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Wild weather  (Read 584 times)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Wild weather
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:11:50 AM »
Time to batten down the hatches, thereís some weather on the way!

Offline Grimsby Ranger

Re: Wild weather
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 05:24:13 PM »
Levi, I hope they're wrong with the amount of rainfall forecast for Wednesday!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 05:34:04 PM »
Me too! All the work done to repair the roads will be under test. Iím glad Iím not still in my old house too!!

Offline Grimsby Ranger

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 07:13:21 PM »
I'm also glad you're not in your old house, it'll probably float off to Appignano. All the work done to our track a couple of weeks ago will be under threat, a machine and a lorry turned up, stayed for 10 mins and layed about 2 buckets of gravel. The effort was incredible haha, though it was done without any prompting from me so I guess that's something  ;)

Offline Lui

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »
Our Comune have posted on their website that due to the "Code Red" weather warning schools will be closed tomorrow. They say that this will also be the case in Pescara.

Offline Lui

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
I'm sorry, that's stupid of me. I should have mentioned that we're in Castiglione Messer Raimondo. Duh!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 02:07:56 PM »
Lower lying areas and roads by the coast are beginning to flood.

There is a red alert and schools are closed.

https://iduepunti.it/15-11-2017/regione-abruzzo-arrivo-temporali-forte-vento-e-grandinate-fino-giovedi-pomeriggio

Stay safe everyone!

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
Very nice walk along casalbordino seafront this afternoon as rain cleared, even a bit of blue sky. Sea looked fabulous much like Bexhill on an autumnal day. Heavy rain last night but seems to have petered out here, hope I don't eat my words tomorrow!

Offline La Vigna

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 09:20:09 PM »
See! Jinxed it, thunder and lightening now and pouring with rain 😩

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »
I think we escaped the worst of it here.

We were away for a few days but a friend let me know about the upcoming storm. We arrived back yesterday lunchtime & the forecasts were still saying there was to be a real storm today; really heavy rain & strong winds. We'd booked the car in for an "MOT" at the Toyota garage near Pescara today so I drove down by 9am with the bike in the boot & rode back. I was braced for torrential rain & strong winds, but I think we got off lightly. It rained all the time but it was 'steady' rather than 'heavy', & the strong winds didn't really appear.

BUT, the rivers were full to (& beyond) bursting, the roads were covered in mud & gravel & fields were suitable for trout farming so there's obviously been an incredible amount of rain. Let's hope that the roads & hillsides manage to hold it together...

It's never dull here is it?  ;D
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 11:22:27 PM »
Ugh! Many horror stories in the national press today about how a COLD winter is going to arrive even before December 1st!

My local meteo is reminding me to bring any tender plants inside pronto (like tomorrow!), even though I'm not much above sea level.

Brrrr. Get the logs/pellets handy.

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 07:47:46 AM »
It's already arrived here. We had snow (down to ~ 1,000m) on the mountain behind the house on Sunday night, yesterday was cold all day (max of 4C) & there is a ground frost now. It may already be too late for delicate plants!
In Abruzzo since March 2013