Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: wood burner internal chimney  (Read 738 times)

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
wood burner internal chimney
« on: October 05, 2017, 11:28:15 AM »
Anyone know or can recommend a fitter?

After saying there are not any regs in Italy (untrue you need a certificate and have the installation checked as in UK ) I have lost faith in my usual team and am looking for someone who specializes in this work.

I am ordering all the kit separately as I want a very high quality twin walled kit and something that clips together avoiding leaks in cheaper kit and also as the house can get damp in the winter when we are not there the chimney needs to resist rusting.

thanks
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline Rustychain

Re: wood burner internal chimney
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »
I'd be interested in a decent fitter too.

We had our stuffa fitted a couple of years ago & it burns fine, there's no wood smell in the house, BUT we get a lot of soot coming back down the chimney & into the lounge, we sometimes get water leaking out of the chimney & the whole area of the ceiling around the chimney is discoloured & breaking up. In other words, the guy that fitted it clearly didn't know what he was doing....

I suppose we could call into a stuffa supplier & see if they can check it out for us but I'd like to see if there's anyone on here that can do it first.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:16:34 PM »
As an update our builder is taking me to a factory in Sulmona where they make quality double insulated chimney pipe. The builder is going to make the holes in roof and first floor to take this chimney which will all be internal apart from the last part which must be 2 meters above the high point of the roof.If you have a chimney that is less than this (lots of UK houses seem to) you will not get a good draw on the stove.

We can have a single pipe until it has to pass through any ceiling then it must be double. Joining a single with double can look a bit ugly but a double pipe on a small stove can also look odd so we still need to figure this all out.

The advantage of having the pipe inside is to provide some extra heat and that it is easier to light a fire with a warmer chimney.

We need a cert if we sell the house to prove chimney and fire are safe.
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 01:47:54 PM »
Thanks for the update DV. Sounds very similar to the UK where we were looking at the same a few years ago. There seems to be a number of links like this one where they quote various regulations that seem similar.