Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Cement driveways  (Read 318 times)

Offline Rustychain

Cement driveways
« on: September 08, 2017, 10:47:34 PM »
Has anybody any experience of them (apart from driving up one!)?

Our driveway is somewhat 'rustic', as anyone who's been to the house can testify. Some visitors have said "It's not TOO bad", but basically it's a struggle for 2WD cars when it's dry & a real no-go for them when it's wet / muddy. We're fine as we have a 4x4 and that can get up anything but it's a bit of a pain for deliveries / visitors.

Soon after we moved in we have it 'gravelled'; we paid for the gravel & the commune did the compressing bit. Once they'd finished, it felt like the M1 motorway but over time it's been washed away, the vegetation has grown up to meet it & we're back at square one. That's ~ 4.5 years.

So... in an ideal world we'd like to have it cemented / concreted (whatever it is) but I think it might be $$$$$. We see a lot of these cement driveways outside the villages & I've yet to see one that's breaking up & some are seriously steep, so the technology appears to be mature.

Our driveway might be 250m long or so & has some serious elevation changes along the way. Anybody any idea what that might cost to have concreted? If it is $$$$$ we'd probably choose to just have it gravelled once every few years I guess.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline Olive Oyl

Re: Cement driveways
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 08:28:58 AM »
Hi Rusty

We had the same problem but as we only have a 2wd, we had to get it done. Our one is about 300m, very steep with 2 hairpins bends to boot and with super reinforcing cost I think 15k euros about 5-6 years ago. If we hadn't had it done, our removal truck and many delivery lorries would totally refuse to come down and as we need the septic tank emptied and gas delivered, no option. It does make it so much easier to clear in deep snow so I don't regret having to have it done.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 10:39:43 AM »
We are only talking a 100-150m steep drive here, concreted before we bought. It has v shaped drainage taking surface water to each of the partly (small) walled sides. This is great, except when there is lots of melting snow which then freezes over night. Then nothing can get up or down the drive, even people unless on their backside!  It would have been ideal if they had simply put in side drainage (would need a lot there).  Something it might be worth thinking/asking about if you are getting the work done.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 01:49:10 PM »
We had our drive done, not a long drive but very steep. It cost about 4K but we did a deal with our neighbours so I'm not sure what the total price was. They laid the concrete and then sunk metal mesh into it and before it was dry made drainage grooves, using an edge of a plank of wood ( hi tech!) the grooves carry water away to the field but there are also two deep channels with grating covers to deal with an inundation. It's wonderful and has lasted very well (better than the house!) well worth the outlay in my opinion.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:58:36 PM »
Rusty, when you said the council flattened it down, does that mean it is a communal track? Or do you own it outright? I only ask because if it is communal then the council should be sorting it out.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 08:57:22 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone; very helpful.

VV, my understanding is that the first part of the driveway is shared between us & the next-door farmer, the last 2/3rds of it are just ours as it goes to our house & nowhere else. We got the impression at the time that the commune were doing the flattening down as a favour / to be nice, as it were, but I could be wrong.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 09:18:25 AM »
hmmm i suspect the road belongs to the council if they did some work on it as it is very strange that they do this sort of thing for nothing. It does not mean anyone can go up your drive but it could be a comune road made to allow access to your land and other peoples land. You should check because if it is the comune has a responsibility to make sure you can get to your property/land, I am not saying they will cement it but at least they will keep it well maintained. Likewise if you decide to cement it you may need permission from them. If you visit your council or look at your contract you should be able to see the status of the road.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 12:33:29 PM »
That's great; thanks very much. I'd better look into it then!