Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: EU Nationals in the UK  (Read 489 times)

Offline Sancho the Phoenix

EU Nationals in the UK
« on: September 05, 2017, 09:11:02 PM »
I don't suppose this'll have much to do with forum members, or that anyone here'll have anything worthwhile to say about it, but this may be worth thinking about -

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/sep/05/leaked-document-reveals-uk-brexit-plan-to-deter-eu-immigrants?CMP=fb_gu

Offline Relaxed

Re: EU Nationals in the UK
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:03:55 PM »
Gauntlet accepted. Even though The Guardian, in my opinion, has its heart in the right place on Brexit, it is just as culpable as the 'lower class' press in reducing everything to Instagram food.

They do link to the 'Sensitive' document (as did The Mirror), so anybody seriously interested can peruse the source at their leisure. And yes, it isn't terribly friendly to potential EU citizens hoping to work in the UK. But read it carefully - it isn't just 'highly skilled' (as in highly paid) people they want to make 'allowances' for, it acknowledges that the 'care professions' are also needed (thus welcomed). 

BUT, the Tory headbangers are frantically distancing themselves from this document. 'It's outdated, not agreed, not circulated' - according to them. They don't like it at all: unfriendly as we may see it, they see it as 'softy' and a denial of The True Brexit Imperative.

I'm pretty pissed off with the Guardian coverage of Brexit 'moves' at the moment. But then, I believe Owen Jones writes for them.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 02:34:17 AM »
I've worked in and around UK politics for 20 years and I know Alan Travis (one of the two journalists bylined). I trust him and know he's read of all the hokey coming out of the Home Office, and tried to distill it for our education, whether it sounds Instagram to you or not.

This 'policy' document emanates from some poor bastard/ette from behind a Whitehall desk, writing a so-called authoritative report - because it's their job. The big boss told them to write it and then it gets published as fact to justify current political policy.

Sources 'close to the Government' might be trying to distance themselves from this report - but doesn't anyone when someone farts next to the boss?

What is true - supported by many research studies, Government and other - is that the UK cannot support a 21st century infrastructure without immigrants.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 09:08:12 AM »
I don't think they'll need to take any measures to deter Eu citizens from wanting to go to the uk to work. The fall in the pound, the housing crisis and the impression of not being welcome should do the job.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 09:59:40 AM »
It's very depressing. I hope Europe is more generous than the UK and I haven't yet felt unwelcome but a friend of mine, who has lived in the UK for 40 years, has British children and grandchildren, a highly responsible job, is thinking of leaving because she still has an accent and has received abuse.

Shaming!

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2017, 11:17:36 AM »
The UK is no more racist now than it was prior to Brexit itís just more news worthy for the sick media. For me a 48-52% vote means nothing in a 72% turn out. The real shame is fuelling the press rhetoric and encouraging simple people like me to believe itís the truth. A still even greater shame is that historically this is how it will be perceived - simply because thatís how itís being reported. Like everything, it all comes down to power, money and greed!

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
I think you're right that the UK is no more racist now than before but the reportage seems to have made some people feel it's acceptable  to voice their attitudes more freely now.

Offline Sancho the Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2017, 09:42:53 AM »
More -

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/sep/11/no-europeans-need-apply-growing-evidence-discrimination-uk-brexit

I hope this sort of thing doesn't cause trouble for Brit expats in Italy.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 09:46:27 AM by Sancho the Phoenix »

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »
All of this is like a big joke, I cannot believe some of the things I am reading. When will it end?
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2017, 11:53:47 AM »
You only need to look at the date of Brexit. The UKs first day outside of Europe is April fools day, says it all really.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2017, 12:27:18 PM »
More - UK press garbage.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »
 :D :D :D

It is a joke then! In comparison there is a lot more in the world going on than Brexit to worry about (if you are that way inclined).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 12:50:08 PM by GeordieBorn »

Offline Orbito

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 12:52:19 PM »
The tenant in my London flat, who is Portuguese (and not given to histrionics), told me a few days ago that she and her friend got asked for their passports when they were viewing a flat to rent, and got turned down because the owner said she was worried they would be booted out of the UK and she would lose her tenants.

Offline levissima

• Administrator