Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: wireless internet in casoli area  (Read 448 times)

Offline Jamcam

wireless internet in casoli area
« on: August 15, 2017, 08:51:06 AM »
Hi all i have line of sight to Casoli from house in Pianibbie am looking to set up internet access so as to suport vpn access to extend my visits rather than return home after a week or 2 week holiday. Any info appreciated

cheers

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: wireless internet in casoli area
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 09:09:33 AM »
The two wifi providers I know of in this area are http://www.micso.net. And https://www.connetti.it

I have Micso and pay 32 per month for unlimited access. The speed is good enough for me to stream tv with little problem.

Best to ask around locally to find out which has best coverage in your area and whether they offer an on/off contract if it's for a holiday home.

Good luck

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 09:14:03 AM »
We've recently switched to Micso & pay 23pm for unlimited. It's fast enough for streaming.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 11:00:54 AM »
It depends on exactly what you are looking for, how long, how much, contract or not and for what use.  Im guessing from what you have said you do not have ADSL (telephone broadband) and therefore it is either WADSL (wireless broadband) or mobile broadband. I doubt anyone does other than a contract for WADSL and Id be most surprised if they did on/off contracts. Then again at 23/month it might be as easy to have it full time if you are happy to have a contract here in Italy, Micso say they do cover your area. Alternative mobile broadband would be likely your best mobile phone coverage. A quick look at WIND coverage there does not look too good.
Ps Connetti do not cover your area.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:33:28 AM »
Progetto Evo is based in Casoli. I pay 29 a month and it's usually pretty good.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 12:34:17 PM »
If your mention of using a vpn is so that you can watch the BBC, be aware that the iplayer is becoming cleverer by the day in detecting vpns being used by people outside the UK.

Offline Jamcam

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 12:55:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for the info. No the vpn is really only to support remote working via email  A3. Will see if micso and prog evo can provide. Ta

Offline Cassius

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 02:51:44 PM »
If your mention of using a vpn is so that you can watch the BBC, be aware that the iplayer is becoming cleverer by the day in detecting vpns being used by people outside the UK.

I used IPVanish for six weeks and iPlayer didn't seem to clock on but Sky did.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:48:16 PM »
I would have thought it easy for the BBC or any other company to stop/block any VPN connection. A little BBC guy sits there and signs up for each major VPN company and gets a list of the servers involved and they block any connection from them. As standard PureVPN give out none specified servers if you get in touch saying you can't get access to the BBC. I'm sure the BBC will of course catch up with these too, "cat & mouse" game with users stuck in the middle. Guess what is needed is your own VPN server running in the UK that you can connect to from here.

Offline old timer

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 06:44:45 PM »
Hi I use mobile Internet via Tim. I purchase a month at a time and have done for the last few years. The speed is fine for email etc. I purchased 5 G which I fingers fine for Internet and email. I know i am notbis the same area as you, I am in montebello.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 11:46:24 PM »
Geordie, I did have a very explanatory site about how the BBC iplayer 'assesses' vpns, but I've lost it!
Search on vpn and iplayer, and you'll find it.
It's not a BBC guy sitting there, it's about analysing the traffic from particular IP addresses. If a particular (vpn) IP address (or twenty), exhibits behaviour which persuades iplayer that it's looking at a vpn (contemporary hits, in the main) it blocks any IP.
This is very recent, and (being conspiratorial about this stuff) I find it difficult to believe this isn't down to upcoming EU legislation about freedom of access to digital media, and the absurd notion that the UK has already left the EU (which it hasn't, yet).
I would be delighted to throw 150 (the UK licence fee) towards the BBC so that I can watch their programmes - but I do not have the option of doing this. The BBC would be delighted to receive my 150, but they are not allowed to offer this to me. It's absurd. Some programmes, like Newsnight, do make much of their stuff available on YouTube, which is helpful (to me).
Filmon (fairly hefty subscription) makes live stuff available - but not the watch again options.
I'm mega pissed off with this.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 04:20:33 AM »
For live BBC (or other UK channels) don't forget Rob's TV - https://robssatellitetv.com/ - no VPN needed.