Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Gas  (Read 489 times)

Offline PJM

Gas
« on: August 11, 2017, 12:16:55 AM »
I am looking at putting gas on into the house so I can have central heating put in ..managed for 13 years with a stuffa and gas heaters. I don't come out that often in the winters but here at the moment and so so hot and thinking  I could use the house more in November / March and April but its so so cold. At the moment I have enel for my electric and pay this with paypal , I don't now have an Italian bank account as it was expensive and its been  no problem not having one after buying the house . Does anyone know about Gran Sasso Eergie I have look at the site and I can't find out if I can pay the gas with paypal. Just had a lady to my house trying to sell  me Granas she is friends with my plumber. I can speak some Italian but hell she was so fast and had not clear Italian ..local accent !!Hope someone can help me Pamela

Offline PJM

Re: Gas
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:38:29 AM »
I am looking at putting gas on into the house so I can have central heating put in ..managed for 13 years with a stuffa and gas heaters. I don't come out that often in the winters but here at the moment and so so hot and thinking I could use the house more in November / March and April but it's so so cold. At the moment I have enel for my electric and pay this with paypal , I don't now have an Italian bank account as it was expensive and it's been  no problem not having one after buying the house . Does anyone know about Gran Sasso Energie I have looked at the site and I can't find out if I can pay the gas with paypal. Just had a lady to my house trying to sell  me Gran Sasso Energie, she is friends with my plumber. I can speak some Italian but hell she was so fast and had not clear Italian ..local accent !!Hope someone can help me Pamela

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 05:10:34 PM »
Looks like no one uses these PJM. Is it town gas you are looking at? Only reason I ask is that two people we know who installed GCH found it mega expensive to run in winter and one not even warm enough. The latter give up running theirs in winter due to the cost. If nothing else it bumps your post :)

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:18:35 PM »
I'm not familiar with Gran Sasso Energie; are they a tanked-gas supplier?

When we came out here we couldn't believe how quickly we got through the tanked-gas for our central heating. Since then we've had decent windows / doors fitted (i.e. ones that actually keep the wind out!), had a wood-burniung stuffa fitted & it's vastly better. I see you have a stuffa, so if the gas is for hot water & to top up the stuffa it should be fine & not too £££.

Unless I've misunderstood your OP.
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline PJM

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 08:39:57 AM »
Thank you for the reply , no I am not looking at liquid gas it's natural gas. I now have mains gas to the front door. The stuffa is fine( just old 13years!)  it's in the kitchen and a bedroom is just off.. we manage in the cold weather. The lounge and the rest of the house/ bedrooms are the problem ..just bottled gas heaters and an electric heater. The cooker is bottled gas and I have an electric water heater. Do I go to the expense and have the gas put in and the heating..instant hot water ! or just put another stuffa stove in the lounge. It's the unknown of the costs of running and the service provider.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »
Gas is convenient but you pay for that convenience. You need to decide if it's worth all the extra expense to have heat at the flick of a switch or you are happy to put up with feeding a stuffa.

Having a gas heating system might be a good selling point, if/when you want to sell, but I personally think it's swings and roundabouts.

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 09:54:21 AM »
From what Iíve read the cost of town gas is a lot less, but still expensive compared to wood or pellets. If you have wood, then it is an obvious choice. Think you were saying it was mainly a holiday home, in which case you might want to look at electric. Air inverters are much cheaper to buy and install these days and much more efficient to run, they also benefit from being able to cool you down in hot periods. Or a combination with a wood burner with a back boiler for heating and electric, gas or solar for domestic hot water. To be honest Rusty mentioned insulation and nothing can beat it for making improvements. We have a bio burner with rads in every room, despite being very good rads and the boiler pushing out more than enough heat, it is nowhere near enough when itís really cold here. Without the wood burner raising the living room temperature to 25c at times in the coldest weather, we would find it very cold indeed. We have little or no insulation, draughty windows and like most here, big high rooms. I would definitely never do away with the wood burning stove as itís a must for us if the electric ever goes off in the colder weather.

Offline PJM

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 05:44:33 PM »
Many thanks for all your replies, lots to think about ! Yes it's just a holiday home but I do rent the place out May until the end of October when we are not here .The guests use the  stuffa in the kitchen and gas bottled heaters when it's cool. At the moment I am considering another stuffa in the lounge after looking into the cost of putting in central heating. I am also not sure that the guests will turn the central heating off and may use it 24/7.. I can control the stuffa pellet costs by leaving guests  a couple of bags to start with, then a honesty box if they use more! Most of the windows are double glazed just a couple not, the ceilings are not high.
I don't normally have guests staying in October but this year I have. I didn't think I would get many rents this year after the earthquake but I have been surprised.