Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Hot!  (Read 5192 times)

Offline Rustychain

Re: Hot!
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2017, 07:53:31 AM »
Yesterday afternoon we had a 15 minute spell of heavy rain; not much real help for the plants but they may have had more up at Campo which may have helped / done the trick with the fire.

Plus, it knocked the air temperature here down by 10C which was very nice. Our forecasts are showing another hot day today (37C here) but much cooler from tomorrow.

;D
In Abruzzo since March 2013

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2017, 12:27:39 PM »
Il Meteo is issuing weather alerts. With the sudden drop in temperature they are expecting storms but not wide coverage, more isolated storms. Might miss you all together but best to batten down the hatches, just in case.

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2017, 09:59:13 AM »
We had an hour or so of half-hearted thunder yesterday with about 5 drops of rain. Temperatures are down about 10C on last week, so very much more palatable, but warming up again over the next few days.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2017, 03:28:49 PM »
We had a bit of thunder and about half an hour of delicious, refreshing rain, aaahhhh!

Offline Venatore

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2017, 09:40:12 PM »
Well the weather may have broken but there a number of fires in the hills around Sulmona. They appear to have started around 5pm by which time it was quite overcast and cooling down. There is a moderate breeze which is fanning and spreading the flames causing multiple breakouts.
V.

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #80 on: August 20, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »
Oh dear.

We were threatened with some rain today but it didn't materialise. Much cooler (~ 27C) with tomorrow being cooler still I think.

I wonder if we might have already finished with the keep-the-sun-out routine of closing shutters / windows / curtains to try to moderate temperatures...

???

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #81 on: August 20, 2017, 10:57:16 PM »
Well the weather may have broken but there a number of fires in the hills around Sulmona. They appear to have started around 5pm by which time it was quite overcast and cooling down. There is a moderate breeze which is fanning and spreading the flames causing multiple breakouts.
V.

Lets hope they get it under control and no one is impacted by it. It would not get far North as there was quite a bit rain in parts for an hour or so this afternoon.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2017, 08:59:48 AM »
We had some nice gentle rain here on Sunday and now it's much cooler but I read that the fires are still burning in the National Park.

There's been an earthquake in Ischia ( island off the coast of Naples ) latest reports 2 dead.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-quake-idUSKCN1B12BH

Thoughts with them.

Offline Venatore

« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2017, 09:05:57 PM »
Fires still burning around Sulmona.
During the mornings a couple of planes take turns drop water on the areas affected but stop before everything is extinguished so fires flare up again every evening.
It seems a peculiar approach to take and surley not very cost effective!
V.

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2017, 09:49:31 PM »
Sounds like typical Italian (Southern European?!) chaos!

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2017, 12:11:25 AM »
I really hope they get this under control soon, what a nightmare.
Ruatychain if I thought I lived in a chaotic country I would move. I have had many years experience here experiencing what the emergency services do in times of trouble. They may not get it 100 percent right all the time but in my experience the emergency services are amazing. You may have more experience here than me, I don't know BUT if you do I would have thought you would have more respect.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2017, 01:15:20 AM »
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Rustychain

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2017, 07:35:06 AM »
VV, I'm sure I have less experience than you but either way, respect is earned, not a given. I have very little direct experience of Italian emergency services but what I have seen has been a mixed bag.

We went up to Amatrice a day (2?) after the 'quake last year to see if we could help only to find that the emergency services had swiftly moved in & the whole operation was very impressive. We were also on the scene of a wildfire about 6 years ago (i.e. it was in fields either side of us), saw the local guy stop at the fire & use his mobile to call for help. The local guys were there putting it out within just a couple of minutes; very impressive.

BUT we've recently seen the terrible fire up at Campo where I seem to remember somebody saying it took 4 hours (?) for the emergency services to arrive & now this one where the planes stop fire-fighting before the thing's extinguished, only for the fire to (obviously) take hold again. Those 2 incidents simply just would not happen in the UK or any other Northern Europen country for that matter. So, in my experience, the Italians have been impressive twice & distinctly unimpressive twice. Emergency services need to get it right 100% of the time & in the UK they pretty much do; 50% (of an admittedly very small sample size) is woeful.

Just my observations.

Offline Tartufa

• Welcome To Sulmona
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2017, 07:54:29 AM »
Not sure what news you guys are reading and in what language but I can assure you that everyone here in Sulmona is taking the fire on the Morrone very seriously and every resource has been used. It is in no one's interests to do less than is absolutely possible. 
www.welcometosulmona.com The only English language insiders' guide to Sulmona and the Valle Peligna.

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2017, 08:21:14 AM »
I live quite close to the fire zones - there were 2 big ones on the Morronese and I can vouch for how hard they're working to ensure the fires are put out. As I write, planes are circling overhead to survey before they start doing whatever needs doing. The problem has been the awful gusty winds which just kept fanning up fires which had been extinguished - easily happens when the ground is so perilously tinder dry and still so hot from the enormous fires. We have experinced this on a tiny scale with our own fires which easily get out of control even when the ground is wet and we know how hot the ground stays for ages. it's also much harder to put out fires from above especially when you have to keep going back to Barrea to take on more water during which time the fire has whipped up again. 2 planes can only do so much even with helicopter assistance. The firefighters have been tireless and working all the daylight hours they could, unfortunately during the evening and night the strong winds just undid all their hard work and they had to start afresh the next day which must have been soul destroying.

I have only experienced tireless dedication on the part of emergency services here, whatever the problem, not always the case in the UK and certainly not 100% of the time as Rustychain seems to have found! If it's a real emergency, then all the stops are pulled out no matter where you are. If it's not considered a real emergency, that is more telling and my experience puts Italy ahead of the UK in that case - but it's only MY experience and I'm sure others have their own opinions based on their own experiences.