Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Which VPN?  (Read 696 times)

Offline Lui

Which VPN?
« on: June 01, 2017, 02:41:44 PM »
After 6 years with a limited bandwidth to play with each month we're finally connected to an unlimited server.  :D Obviously to be able to take advantage of TV coming out of the UK, especially BBC iPlayer we need a VPN. A short surf of the internet shows a bewildering array of VPN providers and also a huge range of review sites which in some cases conflict with each other's opinions. I know Victor M. has spoken of using IPVanish and judging by his posts he certainly seems to know what he's doing but which one would you recommend? I'm looking at NordVPN, ExpressVPN and PureVPN at the moment as being generally well reviewed.

Offline Orbito

Re: Which VPN?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 05:15:27 PM »
I have PureVPN which is OK - sometimes the location address doesn't work but the online support is very good, and it's usually fixed pretty quickly.

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 08:37:38 AM »
I have been having trouble getting bbc lately. Has anyone else had problems?

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 12:32:02 PM »
Glad to hear you got your internet sorted Lui  :)
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Lui

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »
Thanks VV. Micso have finally got a transmitter we can see, on a water tower in Picciano I believe. Only problem I have at the moment is that I can't get onto the forum at all on the Micso connection but it's still fine on what remains of the Bentley Walker service. Thanks also Orbito for responding. I think in the end out of the top 5 VPNs the choice will come down to price. Oh, and no problems at all with the Beeb, in fact I'm downloading as I type this. You're expected to register now which I reluctantly did but I think it's no more sinister than a data collecting exercise.

Offline RedSauce

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2017, 09:11:40 AM »
Well.................It depends what you want.....

I don't believe that you need a VPN at all if you use this (a very small monthly fee has just been introduced)

https://robssatellitetv.com/tvguides/uk-tv-guide/

It's basically a re feed of freeview in the UK. Filmon is also still available (without a VPN) but you pay a somewhat larger fee

RedS

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
BoingBoing is a blog that I have followed for years. They have recently posted this discount offer for VPN from HideMyAss. It is a VPN that has been around for a long time and has a decent reputation.

http://boingboing.net/2017/06/12/get-a-deal-on-one-of-pc-mags.html

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »
Is anybody else having trouble with (any) vpn and BBC iplayer?

Until it closed, I used iPortal as a vpn, and a few times during May and June I got the 'iPlayer only available in the UK' message, even when the vpn was in use. Closing Chrome, and reloading usually sorted this problem - if it didn't, restarting the computer would fix it.

I've been using Avast Secureline for a few weeks now, and it had the same occasional problem with iPlayer, fixable in the same way, but for the last thee days I can't get BBC iPlayer to work at all.

Has anybody else noticed a problem?

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 08:47:05 PM »
Even with a Vpn, the IP numbers can be tracked down by aggressive content providers. With all the fuss lately about BBC getting blocked left and right, I would not be surprised if they are blocking VPN servers as they can find them out.

Offline Cassius

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 08:59:25 PM »
I'm using IPVanish which I have found OK.  The BBC seems to be FAR easier to access than Sky - which honestly seems to have a crystal ball.  If I do have any accessing problems I just turn everything off and start again after a few minutes.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2017, 09:08:11 PM »
I have PureVPN which is OK - sometimes the location address doesn't work but the online support is very good, and it's usually fixed pretty quickly.

Update on Pure - I would actually now NOT recommend it at all. I had all sorts of trouble with it, in particular, it would shut down my internet completely when I then tried to open Kodi - close Pure and Kodi came back no problem. It was also completely unstable when I tried to access iPlayer, etc. The Customer Services people basically sucked the life out of me over a week, suggesting fix after complicated fix (none of which worked) so I eventually gave up - which is very annoying after I'd paid for a 2 year subscription specifically to use it alongside Kodi.

Anyhoo, after a chat with a few Kodi users I did a free trial with Tunnelbear and I love it - so simple and no dramas about getting on location-restricted sites like the BBC or ITV iPlayer, etc - and it works perfectly with Kodi too. https://www.tunnelbear.com/

Re Rob's Satellite TV - what a great guy! Definitely worth supporting if you want to watch live Brit TV (not all channels, but he's getting there). It was the only site I could watch the election right through on without losing it, so I made a 10 donation - and got bumped up to the 2nd top level of subscription, so the quality is usually pretty good.

Now if only Progetto Evo would stop melting and work properly! I estimate I've had about 90 minutes of functioning internet a day for the last few days. ???

« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 09:09:58 PM by Orbito »

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2017, 09:50:46 PM »
When last in the UK md june the Beeb were saying on using iplayer that you will soon have to register and log in to use it. Have to admit we do not use it here so have not tried in out, perhaps this reg and log has been put in place?

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2017, 09:58:52 PM »
Just tried it and I get the site, but it knows I'm using a VPN (Pure). Guess they are winning against the VPN companies. I'll just watch the thunderstorm going on up North instead.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2017, 10:10:32 PM »
I use Netshade proxy and it's pretty good. Very occasionally the server goes down but they fix it quite quickly. Been using it for over 5 Years now with little trouble and it costs me $18 a year, so very cheap.

Offline Lui

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2017, 09:50:06 AM »
I eventually signed up for 6 months on CyberGhostPro which so far seems okay. The only problem I have occasionally with the Beeb is that there is "no server available" as it's in great demand....allegedly. Registering and signing in each time hasn't made any difference to access.