Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Just got our first Italian car  (Read 355 times)

Offline rsetzer99

Just got our first Italian car
« on: May 28, 2017, 11:37:20 AM »
From an American point of view, buying car here in Italy was pretty painless. The price is the price and they just automatically apply all the discounts (Fiat). The salesperson even steered us toward a less expensive vehicle. We were looking at a 500X but after talking about 4x4 options, he took us in the back to look at a nice Panda 4x4 which we could get for several thousand EU less.

One area that stood out as different than US dealers, is after the final paperwork and taking possession of the car, he basically just turned over the keys, shook our hands and pointed us at the petrol station down the road. In the US they typically spend half a hour going over the car showing you what everything does, and you always get a full tank of gas to start. They also did not ask to see our insurance documents before turning over the keys. (They don't in the US either, but I know Italy is far more strict about having insurance. Been seeing the Carabinieri alot doing spot checks lately.)

Offline old timer

Re: Just got our first Italian car
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
There is not a lot to explain on a panda. Unless you go for the very obvious. In the US they would even explain  where the brake is in case you have a accident  and Sue them for not teling you it had a  brake.   You should have negotiated a full tank of petrol.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 12:43:56 PM »
Don't forget to pay the road tax!

This is usually something that isn't included in a 'key in hand' deal in Italy. Enjoy the Panda.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 01:33:56 PM »
Many congrats on the new car! Looking forward to seeing it next week - and a test drive :)

I've been thinking about cars too - I really fancy a Suzuki Jimny - car expert reviews are terrible but user reviews are glowing. Anyone have one? I love my Beetle but it has a very low chassis and I hit everything when I go down rough roads.