Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Cold snap on its way  (Read 509 times)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Cold snap on its way
« on: April 17, 2017, 08:50:29 PM »
If you have any tender seedlings it might be a good idea to protect them for the next few days before it warms up again.

Offline Shebar

Re: Cold snap on its way
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 10:00:12 PM »
Yep - it's chilly - the fireflies are absent tonight.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2017, 11:18:54 PM »
And if you have bought some plants from a nursery in the last week or so, think about protecting these as well if it gets down to 1 or 2 degC.

Not only the obvious tender plants, such as tomatoes or flowering bedding, but shrubs like rosemary and even lavender. These have often been raised in very clement conditions in a polytunnel, and they will have made a lot of very soft growth. They'll be fine through a pretty cold winter, but until they get acclimatised a cold and windy snap at this time of year can easily kill them.

I ate my first strawberry today, from a plant which cost me 48c about a month ago! I bought the plants because I was fed up with the tastelessness and speed of rotting of the greengrocers' offerings, and this one strawb was utterly delicious, full of flavour and warmed by the sun. It's just in a 20cm pot, and I'm pegging down the runners into neighbouring pots holding other ornamental plants - anything, so long as there are a few sq cm of free earth. If the strawberry starts climbing up a palm that will be quite fun!

Offline RedSauce

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:54:04 AM »
Fresh, home grown strawberries.........yum, yum !!  :P

RedS

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
New snow on the mountains and hail storm here, even the dogs don't want to go out!

Offline Grimsby Ranger

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 01:30:24 PM »
Keep having snow showers here but it isn't settling, around 2 degC and we're just short of 650m asl. Definitely a cold snap!

Offline Casey Jones

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 03:17:51 PM »
Full sun and blue skies here in deepest Sussex, no rain for the last ten days. Just had coffee on the terrace and had to put the parasol up the sun was so bright. Typical English weather for April  :-\ 
Steamin' and a rollin'

thediggers

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 08:36:40 PM »
Full sun and blue skies here in deepest Sussex, no rain for the last ten days. Just had coffee on the terrace and had to put the parasol up the sun was so bright. Typical English weather for April  :-\
.. what over 10c? Saturday will see normal service resumed... :D

Offline Casey Jones

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
Well, not quite sure it topped 10 degs, but the sun was certainly out!
Steamin' and a rollin'

Offline old timer

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 05:25:03 PM »
We are in Edinburgh at the moment and yesterday it was 15C lovely sun. Today it is down to 14C this morning but has cooled down this afternoon. But I am siting in the sun writing this.