Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Alpine plants  (Read 554 times)

Offline Lui

Alpine plants
« on: March 19, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
We've been to many garden centres now but have never seen any alpine (or should that be apennine) pants for sale. The sorts of things that abound in garden centres in UK in little pots for about 99p, saxifrages, sempervivums etc. I've found one which doesn't flower but is a fabulous ground cover plant which looks like it may be related to saxifrage (never got the name) but that's it. Trying to grow some from seed at the moment but given my track record with that I'm not hopeful. Anybody out there seen them?

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: Alpine plants
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 05:06:38 PM »
Love the typo ;)

Have you had a look in Febo, at Pescara Nord? They usually have a good selection but are a bit expensive.

Offline Lui

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:00:50 PM »
Typo? What typo? I'm renowned in this area for always gardening in a pair of leather shorts and a hat with a feather in it!! Oh dear, we did laugh but yes thanks I've tried Febo, in fact that was where we got the ground cover plant. Perhaps the locals just don't do rockeries? I can't imagine that alpines (pants or plants) wouldn't thrive in our climate.

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 06:05:03 PM »
I've bought a few online for that very reason and yes, they are doing well and spreading nicely. They also don't have branches that get broken by heavy snows so another bonus   ;D

thediggers

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 07:15:54 PM »
Iíve seen a number succulent plants here which I doubt anyone could sell as they grow like weeds. There are two purple, one bigger than the other and a yellow one which is in flower at the moment. We have (had) all three,but the bigger of the purple may well have had it this winter. Iíll get a picture of the yellow plant for you if needed, not worth the other two yet until they flower Ö Saying no one will be selling them the OH thinks the flower shop in Piane next to the fruit shop may have had them at some point.?

thediggers

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 07:20:37 PM »
carpobrotus chilensis looks a good bet for the large purple plant...

Offline 2Heads

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:47:05 PM »
The diggers is (are?) right. Those succulents work really well - just breaking a bit off and 'stuffing' it in the ground seems to work and they spread beautifully. We got the originals from the nursery near Castiglione MR on the road towards Bisenti

Offline Lui

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 06:45:48 PM »
Thanks for all the responses people. We have the small and big purple succulents, both did not like the winter and being buried under 2 metres of snow but they seem to be rallying now. The plant in the picture however seems to thrive in any condition. I planted a small bit in my proposed rockery in November and it's now spread about a foot and a half! We got it from Febo if you are interested but I can't help with the name as the tray wasn't labelled but I'm sure they'd get it from the picture. we first saw it at Hotel Villa Michelangelo, near to the motorway entrance by Pescara Nord where the gardener had used it to fill borders all over the hotel. Found it at Febo last June and bought a small tray. We now have acres (a slight exaggeration) of the stuff. I highly recommend it. I think I'll have to follow Olive Oyl's lead and get some alpines sent from UK.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 10:07:12 PM »
Well - there's alpines, and then there's succulents. Not really quite the same thing. Proper alpines are pretty tricky to cultivate in a garden environment, part of their appeal is their fleetingness, and that's not ideal for your garden/pots.

The snag about 'marketing' succulents is that your neighbour usually throws you a bit, so they are like free weeds! However, Lidl is quite a good source for them, or your local supermarket. Also if you have an 'agricultural merchant' (who sells tomato plants etc.) he'll maybe have stocked up on pretty things which might be an impulse purchase. But a 'garden centre' isn't going to be interested.

I absolutely turned my nose up at anything 'succulent' or cactus like in the UK. On offer were tiny cacti which died because it was too cold, or too wet, and they never grew. Now (with my Saharan patch of ground) I'm completely in love with this class of plant. Aside from waterlilies (which grow fantastically, and don't need watering!!) sedums and sempervivums and the 'Hottentot fig' are my best friends. Admire something you see in a neighbours' garden, and let them give you a bit.

Offline Olive Oyl

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 10:31:07 PM »
There are quite a few Italian online nurseries which supply a surprising variety of plants including alpines - try a Google search on comprare piante e fiori - I can't remember offhand which sites I've used but they're pretty reasonable too. Obi in pescara has been useful too at odd times

Offline Lui

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 02:51:23 PM »
Just a quick update if anyone else was interested in rockery plants. We were in Febo Gardens today and after I'd gone to the trouble of buying a load of sempervivums online they actually had some in for the first time; quite a nice little selection. They're next to the cacti, where I had looked previously but never found them. If you're passing the place it's worth popping in just to look at their display of Christmas trees and decorations; absolutely spectacular!

Offline the wrong side of the valley

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 07:37:41 PM »
Just a quick update if anyone else was interested in rockery plants. We were in Febo Gardens today and after I'd gone to the trouble of buying a load of sempervivums online they actually had some in for the first time; quite a nice little selection. They're next to the cacti, where I had looked previously but never found them. If you're passing the place it's worth popping in just to look at their display of Christmas trees and decorations; absolutely spectacular!

Will these tolerate direct August heat and sun in Abruzzo?  Or better in the shade?
I bought some cheap in England and am considering bringing a couple out to try there

Offline Lui

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 08:57:03 AM »
I planted mine in May this year and in full sun. They are all, except for one variety,  doing fine despite the heat and drought we had this summer. They were however watered every other day. If they're in the shade they'd probably do even better. Just waiting to see how they over-winter but I'm confident that they'll manage here as we had the same in N. Wales previously and the winters there were brutal.