Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Post Brexit Healthcare  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Shebar

Offline Relaxed

Re: Post Brexit Healthcare
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 08:22:34 PM »
Indeed. The article focuses on the difficulties UK citizens living in Europe will probably face (after Brexit) in getting affordable health-care in the EU country where they live. This is based on the likely removal of 'reciprocal rights' to everyday healthcare (and probably also the right to emergency healthcare when travelling).

I suspect the problem is potentially even greater than outlined. The UK has 'no record' (information unrevealed even to FOI requests) about the number of UK citizens resident in other EU countries. I have seen 'reliable' estimates varying between 1.8 and 5 million people - rather a big difference there - and for UK pensioners the range is between 100,000 and 800,000. One would think that the DWP could provide a solid figure here (at least for those in receipt of a UK OAP, but even this is obscure).

It isn't just NHS health care of course. The NHS doesn't 'do' social care, there are different 'qualifying criteria' for both financial contributions towards those costs and for any State/Local Authority obligations.

So - an elderly not rich UK pensioner might decide that they are obliged to move back to the UK after Brexit, only to find that they are jumping out of a frying pan into a fire. (Scotland could be a better choice than England or Wales here.)

I'm by no means sure that, were I to move back to the UK, I'd even find a GP to take me on - I've been away so long. I have a nice Italian house, which would quite properly be considered an asset by anybody assessing me for 'rights to sheltered housing' or, basically any co-operation from any limb of the UK social services, but could I even give it away?

In this idiot shambles, reigned over by Nasty Mayhem, very few UK politicians give a shit about UK people (working, or retired) in Europe. Why would they? No votes in us.

Offline old timer

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:00:02 PM »
You have exactly the same situation for EU citizens living in the UK are they going to be able to get treatment on the national health? Where I live there are a large number of Italians who are very worried about what is going to be happening to them and their rights to living in the UK. Some have  lived in the UK for 30-40 years but are still Italian and haven't any real legal right to stay. What are they going to do? They are just as worried as uk nationals in Italy.  There are a estimated 2.9 milion EU citizens in the UK. They can't all go back home to there diference countries.
Of course the newspapers which have very little firm facts to write about. Are coming up with all scenarios that they think could happen including the end of the world  which will before the end of 2017 so there won't be anything to worry about. If there senario is correct.
We'll just have to wait and see when we get proper facts, not newspaper drivel.

Offline Shebar

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 10:23:51 PM »

Offline old timer

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 10:13:43 AM »
I am sorry I wouldn't classify those as proper newspapers. They all have there own adjectives in the way they are presenting news. 

Offline Shebar

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 08:07:44 PM »
Not a proper newspaper - but an interesting read for everyone except old timer -

http://www.wantedinrome.com/news/britons-in-italy-fight-to-retain-their-rights/

There are some 65,000 British in Italy so please share this link far and wide.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 08:20:15 PM by Shebar »

thediggers

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 08:31:11 PM »
Every newspaper has its own agenda, bit like some on here! I would really be interested to know if anyone here really cares or worries what will happen in this unknown future of ours? I'd rather stick with the fireflies and forget the "ragmags", roll on the 9th June  :( and then whatever other date they come up with to bore the backside off everyone ...

Offline Shebar

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 09:26:01 PM »
You're sounding like an ill-informed brexiteer - and I'm pretty sure there are lots on here who have some serious worries about what the future might hold for them.  We need to be kept informed of the situation.  British in Italy are trying to represent Brits who have chosen to be here (in better times) - I really don't see why you choose to be so dismissive.

thediggers

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 10:07:47 PM »
You're sounding like an ill-informed brexiteer - and I'm pretty sure there are lots on here who have some serious worries about what the future might hold for them.  We need to be kept informed of the situation.  British in Italy are trying to represent Brits who have chosen to be here (in better times) - I really don't see why you choose to be so dismissive.
Oh dear we stick together Brits that live in Italy...  :-[

Offline SALCIM

Post Brexit Issues
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »
Not sure how many have seen this site before, but might be worth joining just to get as much information as possible as the negotiations move on ....

http://www.ecreu.com/index.html

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2018, 05:54:41 PM »
Of course, nothing is agreed until everything is agreed but this looks a bit more hopeful. I just wish Shebar were able to read it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/brexit-theresa-may-message-uk-eu-nationals-rights-christmas-a8119416.html

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »
Well it's a bit like the video about the prefab house, great idea, but wish I'd read the comments first! Same with this link, but keep them coming Levi as the 1st link is really a great idea (and design if it lasts) and the 2nd had me laughing my socks off at how daft some of us Brits can be - I ask you would you believe anything any UK government told you - more likely to get the truth out of the Italian lot!

Offline GeordieBorn

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2018, 08:20:30 PM »
GB is a plonker! Most importantly in Leviís post was the mention of Shebar. Iím sure many here have thought of her over this period, I certainly do often. Previously, my object of scorn of derision of her objectionable (to me) off the cuff posts and incessant political ranting. But she being someone who made this forum what it is/was is missed as are many others.