Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Stove with boiler/advice  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Allora

Stove with boiler/advice
« on: February 16, 2017, 01:34:23 PM »
I need to replace my open fire with back boiler in the living room as it is no longer efficient for these bitterly cold winters here in Arsita, nr Bisenti (Teramo region).   Before I investigate the purchase of  a modern stove with boiler to heat 5 radiators (iron), all on the first floor level in my rustic farmhouse I was wondering if anyone is selling a system or can advise me of the pros and cons.  My Italian neighbour installed one last year which cost E2,500 while my English neighbour has bought one in the UK for £700 but not fitted as awaiting pipes etc.   Are UK stoves compatable with Italian plumbing?

Any offers or advice  would be gratefully appreciated  before I venture into the mysterious world of plumbing/heating.

Many thanks.

Offline Grimsby Ranger

Re: Stove with boiler/advice
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 06:41:47 PM »
I've bought an IDRO 30 from these people http://www.edilflagiello.it/termocamino-a-legna-italiana-camini-modello-idro-30-anta-unica-14-2-kw.html I only needed a smallish output to water as it's just for heating and hot water upstairs.

Can't comment on performance as it's not fitted yet, I've opted for the 'open' system so with the termocamino, controller and open system kit (pump, header tank etc. came to Ä913 delivered. That's excluding pipework and fittings etc. I've bought most of the fittings from the UK as I prefer certain makes and designs. Biggest issue with compatibility is copper pipe sizes, it's very difficult to find 15mm pipe here whilst they have odd sizes that you don't find easily in the UK like 14mm, 16mm and 18mm.

Difficult to judge prices for fitting etc. as it depends on the work involved for your system. I chose this model as it's very simple so not a lot to go wrong. Some of the ones you get here with pullies / cogs and moving bits look like they could be problems in years to come to me when all that is needed is a water jacket around a fire.

thediggers

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:36:59 PM »
It seems to me it depends on what your neighbour got for 2500 (and possibly how well they know the installer). If itís that price for the stove (with back boiler), installation and/or pipes, tank(s), pump etc. then it may not be so expensive to your comparison of £700, if just for the stove and back boiler, would not be like for like. Iíve never seen an open fire here with a back boiler, a glass enclosed unit i.e. thermocamino yes, but not an open system. When you say not efficient, in what way?

Offline Shebar

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 07:55:04 PM »
My Italian neighbour has an open fire with a back boiler (only for hot water, not heating), and an electric arrangement - presumably an immersion heater or small scaldabagno - for hot water in the summer.

Allora.... 

The critical thing is that central heating requires electricity to run the pump.  If you're without electricity, then you'll still be cold - more so, if you haven't the option of your open fire - hang on to that fireplace.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:11:15 PM by Shebar »

Offline Grimsby Ranger

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »
Forgot to mention you'll also need to size a termocamino correctly for the radiators it is required to heat.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 10:00:52 PM »
I'm with Shebar, think very carefully before loosing your open fire. I had  a gas boiler and a Sansa burner but once the electric goes the only thing I had was the open fire and I used it for light, heat, cooking and hot water. It's not the most efficient but it is ( if you've got wood) the most reliable.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 11:27:47 PM »
It is quite a consideration, that these 'sophisticated' stoves do depend on electricity (to run the pump which circulates the heated water). Even the woodburners which deliver heated air cannot be run very efficiently without electricity, and pellet stoves give up the ghost after five minutes without power. Gas, oil, wood or sansa boilers also need juice.

It's not common to be without power for more than 24 hours - but it happens, and without one open fireplace or a simple woodburner one does get cold very quickly.

Looking at the 'catalogue price' of a woodburner with the facility to drive radiators is not a very illuminating activity. You need to think about (get an estimate for) the associated pipework, radiators, tanks and any control gear needed to integrate this system with any others you perhaps have already. The woodburner seller just wants to wedge you into buying his product - he isn't going to alert you to the 'extras' which you'll need to spend to make it function! The boiler is probably about a quarter of what you'll commit to if you buy it.

Offline Allora

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 12:43:52 PM »
Many thanks for all the helpful advice.  My termocamino stopped working after the last earthquake tremor but the local plumber has just repaired it and told me that a family in the village wants to sell their system for wood and pellet which provides heating and water.  He thinks I should keep my system but it uses a lot of wood/tronchetti to reach the required heat to start the pump and to keep it going.  Also the four sides of glass get badly smoke stained despite using Diavolina cleaner.  Fully agree that it is important to have an alternative heating source as my Morse wood burning stove in the kitchen was a life saver when there was no electicity for 10 days last month.  Leaks in the roof had short circuited the internal system.  My eternal thanks to the Emergency Service Firemen from Lecce, Milan and Potenza who repaired the electricity with aluminium foil and insulation tape!