Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Sandstorms Abruzzo style  (Read 995 times)

Offline Orbito

Sandstorms Abruzzo style
« on: January 31, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »
On a lighthearted note, I've discovered that it's not the best idea in the world to have the house rewired while you're living in it - because it is literally like living in a sandstorm!

Got fab workmen in but they are producing layers upon layers upon layers of dust on the floors, walls, benchtops and all other surfaces, which are fastidiously (as in, not by me) swept up/wiped clean every evening - yet these layers of dust disturbingly reappear the following morning, before work has even started again!

I keep telling myself it's short term pain for long term gain - but am rapidly going off this renovation lark :D

Offline Relaxed

Re: Sandstorms Abruzzo style
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 07:39:07 PM »
Just stop cleaning stuff up! I realised (quite early) that Italy is composed of mud and dust. One of these is damp, the other one is dry, but you cannot keep either of them at bay, (even if you don't have workmen in the house).

One of the most honest statements I ever got from an Italian muratore was "I sweep, but I don't Hoover".

It won't go on for too long (your rewiring), so what's the point of cleaning up after the electricians until they have finished? Quite possibly you will entertain even filthier workmen (sandblasting, anyone?) and you'll just get frustrated. Slum it for a few weeks (months?) - it's a perfect excuse for neglecting housekeeping duties.

Renovation is FUN! Think of it as a sort of theatrical performance - with you as the director/producer.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »
LOL Relaxed - excellent advice!!!

TBH I'm not the best housekeeper in the world anyway, but it was even getting to me a bit - but of course you're right, it's only for a couple of weeks. Just in time for my Year 1 anniversary :D

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 08:32:40 PM »
According to Quentin Crisp, dust doesn't get any thicker after four years😄

Offline the wrong side of the valley

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 08:43:27 PM »
This sprang to mind
https://tinyurl.com/zapeypq

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 08:54:15 PM »
Love your post Relaxed, I must use this with my clients !

Orbito, you picked the wrong time of year in my opinion !!!! Do dusty jobs in the summer while you are outside sipping on 5 litres of wine, this way you dont notice the dust, see the dust or care about the dust  :)
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Orbito

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 10:21:12 AM »
Yes VV you're absolutely right - and not even got any wine to keep me warm while all the doors and windows stay open. Didn't think that one through :D