Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Outages?  (Read 2358 times)

Offline rsetzer99

Outages?
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:39:37 PM »
For the second time in a week the water is off in Casalanguida. I believe they are doing some work on a mains somewhere in the area.

This is not a rant. Just an info gathering post. I have a large blue tank in the cantina, but I think I need to get a plumber as the pump works, I get good pressure, but it seems to cycle too often. It a pump with a pumpkin sized tank on top. When I have it on it cycles for or five times a minute whether I have any faucet running or not. Some googleing refers to this as short cycling.

Main question is the frequency of outages up here in the hills. Is this likely an anomaly? I imagine the large tank is in the cantina for a reason.

Thanks in advance for input. 

thediggers

Re: Outages?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 10:55:36 PM »
For the second time in a week the water is off in Casalanguida. I believe they are doing some work on a mains somewhere in the area.

This is not a rant. Just an info gathering post. I have a large blue tank in the cantina, but I think I need to get a plumber as the pump works, I get good pressure, but it seems to cycle too often. It a pump with a pumpkin sized tank on top. When I have it on it cycles for or five times a minute whether I have any faucet running or not. Some googleing refers to this as short cycling.

Main question is the frequency of outages up here in the hills. Is this likely an anomaly? I imagine the large tank is in the cantina for a reason.

Thanks in advance for input.

We found this to be the case in a few houses we looked at further south in Abruzzo and I seem to recall when checking on the web it was more prone to water supply problems further south you went (I really dont know if this is the case). Certainly the couple of houses we looked at and got a clear answer, that was the reason quoted for the tank that was present, most were in higher up areas.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 10:23:08 AM »
I don't like to 'pick on' areas, but I have also heard this happens much more inland from Vasto, not sure why. I dont think height comes into it, it just seems to be a problem down there. Hopefully if they are doing work it may get better.
Estate agents in Abruzzo www.vignaverde.com
Day seminar event in the UK www.liveladolcevita.co.uk

Offline Orbito

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 10:34:28 AM »
My water here in Castel Frentano has been fine all year, but over the last week they've been turning it off every evening (sometimes as early as 4pm) and it comes back on at about 9am.

Not that they told anyone....at first I thought my pipes were frozen but checked the mater and supply wasn't even reaching the house.

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 01:59:29 PM »
My water here in Castel Frentano has been fine all year, but over the last week they've been turning it off every evening (sometimes as early as 4pm) and it comes back on at about 9am.

Not that they told anyone....at first I thought my pipes were frozen but checked the mater and supply wasn't even reaching the house.

You should connect to the councils facebook page they usually put things like this on if they are working. Also if your pipes are frozen the meter will not turn.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 02:29:32 PM »
Thanks VV - I know the registrar and she confirmed they were turning it off and back on again, so it wasn't to do with my pipes.

And their FB page isn't exactly up to date - the last post was in September 2016!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 02:32:55 PM by Orbito »

thediggers

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 02:35:19 PM »
Always worth having a look at your comune site now and then  :D

Offline Shebar

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 03:04:43 PM »
The previous administration were hopelessly inadequate at keeping us informed.  The current town council appear to be living in the 21st century rather than relying on word of mouth, or letters that take two weeks to travel 2 kilometres.  However, I do worry a bit if being a regular facebook user is the only way we will be able to keep informed.  I would never have thought of looking for the comune on facebook.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 03:09:48 PM »
Always worth having a look at your comune site now and then  :D

Oh that's brill thanks The Diggers, just what I needed! So good to know I don't need a crystal ball anymore  ;D :D

Offline Vignaverde

• Vignaverde Srl
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 03:31:56 PM »
I would never have thought of looking for the comune on facebook.

Me neither but it is a good tool to let people know things in an emergency, our Comune always post on it especially if there are problems in the area. The good thing for them is that it is easy to update rather than relying on someone in the office changing the website and the good thing for us is that we get updates even in the middle of the night if they are important.

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »
After a little digging about on FB I ran across a news article from Telemax TV Abruzzo. It looks like there was some problem with mains that affected an area around Atessa and the surrounding and outages were scheduled.

I have a large backup water tank in the cantina, but I believe the pump needs to be looked at by a plumber as it cycles too often. Still, I can at least run it for a while refill toilets and have water for dishes and washing, and I laid in in half a dozen extra liters for drinking. Course, now that I have done all this, and bought a little generator for emergency, knock on wood, things will return to working order.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 10:24:16 AM »
My water is still being turned off each night. No advice on the comune website since the 12th so can only assume it's going to happen every night until things warm up a bit.

In other joy I woke up this morning to find water spraying everywhere out of the bedroom radiator. Managed to get it switched off but the bed is soaked. Bit of a rude awakening! Then discovered I had no hot water - my boiler has broken. Again. When I went outside to check it, I discovered that the neighbourhood dogs had got into the rubbish and chucked it everywhere...These things are fixable, of course, but don't they love to happen all at once!

Following Levi's excellent example of morning alcohol, it might just be time for the same here too now! Note to self - add Abruzzo Punch to the shopping list...:D

Offline old timer

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
We are up on the mountains near montebello di bertona, in the last 6 years we have lost water 5 times, we get our water from a lot higher up the mountain and the normal cause is land movement which causes the pipe to rupture. We notice a drop in presure then you know the water will be gone in a short while. ACA have always fixed it within a day of us calling them. We have always had very good service.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 11:17:24 AM »
Oh dear, Orbito! I hope you get your boiler fixed quickly or have an alternative method of heating. Judging by the weather forecast we won't be short of water, in some form, for a while!

Offline Orbito

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 11:55:03 AM »
Thanks Levi - still got leccy so the trusty oil filled radiator is belting out some lovely warmth yaye! :)