Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Problems with WIND contract cancellation  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Cassius

Problems with WIND contract cancellation
« on: October 27, 2016, 04:52:04 PM »
I posted previously about problems I have had cancelling my WIND contract.  I recently wrote at length to them explaining why their demands are excessive due to their staff misleading me, but they will have not accept my explanations.  They have also only given me a 155 number to call which is not very helpful as that is only if you are calling from a WIND phone.  My Italian friend tells me not to bother about it - what can WIND do - but obviously I do not want a bad debt hanging over my head............

Anyway two questions?  Do Italian companies send bailiffs around when there are unpaid bills?
My friend has suggested that I contact either Adiconsum or Fedreconsumatori Abruzzo which she says are consumer groups.  Does anyone have any experience of using such groups - do they have any clout? 

I hasten to add that I am NOT trying to get away with not paying my way - my contract was over and i followed the instructions given to me by their staff but they simply did not accept my cancellation. 

Offline Allan Mason

Re: Problems with WIND contract cancellation
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 05:20:23 PM »
I can't cite Italian legislation so take my comments with a grain of salt, but we did have some unpleasant experiences with TeleTu demanding money.

It's a long, tedious tale which I'll spare you, but the basic outline is that we jumped through the hoops as demanded in order to terminate the arrangement, yet TeleTu continued to bill us.

We just ignored the bills and eventually we started getting phone calls demanding money. Our response was reasonably measured the first few times, but after a while we started shouting lousy Italian at the collectors and then just hung up when they called. I would not be surprised if they're still pestering whoever now has the pay as you go mobile number we stopped using months ago.

We were advised by our Italian friends that bill collectors can't take legal steps to collect a debt until the alleged debtor has accepted a registered letter advising them that this is happening. Since we no longer lived in Italy when this eventually arrived, the postina knew that it had to be returned undelivered.

An absurd amount of effort went into trying to collect a claimed debt of around €100. I would not be astonished if the issue surfaces again when we sell the house.

I do think you would be wise to seek the advice of a consumer organisation. I'm sure your story will be one they've heard many times before. Unfortunately, our experience suggests that if you just ignore the demands, you can expect to be hassled and pressured.

Al

thediggers

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 06:19:57 PM »
You could try and plaster it all over Twitter and Fartbook if they have such... Someone did say they take more notice of such action. A bit late in the day perhaps, others may gain, I've also heard most Italians never take out a contract with mobile operators. Good luck in getting it sorted and at least you have alerted others.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »
I'm sure that Levi, in the past, has recommended some 'citizen's advice' type of helpful place, (although it might not be local to you). People like Wind and Sky (and probably TeleTu) are grist to their mill!

I have heard that some of these sorts of companies are just as unpleasantly and mistakeny insistent also in the UK. Good luck sorting it.

thediggers

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 09:41:22 PM »
I'm sure that Levi, in the past, has recommended some 'citizen's advice' type of helpful place, (although it might not be local to you). People like Wind and Sky (and probably TeleTu) are grist to their mill!

I have heard that some of these sorts of companies are just as unpleasantly and mistakeny insistent also in the UK. Good luck sorting it.

Perhaps just as stupid in the UK, but look up Vodafone fines, UK is nothing like Italy in this respect AND you have strong recorse there, consumer rights in the UK are god there compared to Italy!  :(

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 11:06:15 PM »
I quite agree that consumer rights are much 'better' in the UK.

But (from an Italian perspective, even talking about the people who have a cell phone 'contract') I have to say that Vodafone Italia customer service is staggeringly good; and that's not just in comparison with TIM or Wind who are dire - it's just amazingly good! (I'd love to hear of snaglets people have encountered with Vod Italia, I'm always open to changing my mind..)

thediggers

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 11:14:49 AM »
On the WIND site their own "Trasparenza" points to this AGCOM body, might be worth a look. Good luck!

Offline Cassius

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 12:25:36 PM »
Well they've now got debt collectors and solicitors calling me at my work!  So will have to contact the consumer groups asap.  All very worrying and unpleasant.  I feel awful because I have never had any debts before (apart from Student Loan and Mortgage). I hope this won't affect my (very good) credit rating elsewhere.