Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: International calls  (Read 875 times)

Offline Orbito

International calls
« on: December 06, 2016, 09:50:02 AM »
Hi folks - I have family/friends in NZ/Oz, not all of whom are on FB/Skype/etc but my mobile just gobbles up the credit when I ring them. Was 10 minutes into a call to my aunt about something and the line went dead as the 20 credit had already been eaten up!

I don't want to get a landline - any other suggestions for making cheap international calls?

Offline Braveheart

Re: International calls
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 10:28:33 AM »
Blabla online I have used it for my mobile, it does charge a little higher for mobiles, but for 10 dollars you get a lot of minutes. 

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 10:50:01 AM »
I have Vodafone internationals and pay 10 per month for 300 minutes. However it's an old contract.

Have a look here

http://www.vodafone.it/portal/Privati/Tariffe-e-Prodotti/Tariffe/Tariffe-Giornaliere-dall-estero

thediggers

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 11:49:58 AM »
If your Skype quality is any good where you are, they do a monthly call plan here to both Nz an Oz which is 6 (per country) for 300 minutes to mobiles or landlines. Even better if it's only landlines as it's only 3.60 and unlimited!

Offline Orbito

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 01:52:41 PM »
Thanks guys - all good options, will check them out!

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 11:46:51 AM »
We are new arrivals finally. Just before Christmas. Picked up Vodaphone sims  and they are still doing the international package for 10eu a month. The contract print seems to suggest that it may only be valid for a year, but thats to worry about next December. 300Min to a whole bunch of countries (The 300 is basically your monthly minute package to both Italy and everywhere else. You do get unlimited to other vodaphone. They have a promotion called Christmas Card. Unlimited video data (420P stream) for three months. We found this very useful while waiting for internet installation.

Offline levissima

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 01:38:09 PM »
I've had this contract with Vodafone for more than a year so you may find it just rolls on.

Offline rsetzer99

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 01:51:41 PM »
would not complain about that! 10eu for 300 min, which is more than we likely would use pretty much any month. 3Gig data as well. Wife and I each have phone so 20eu, compared with around 100 USD a month we paid in the States for a plan that was comparable.

Offline Cesare Rinato

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:58:11 PM »
I think we have discussed this before, but I use Edicard. You can buy a card in the bar under the portici in the village or on line at www.edicard.it. You can pay on line with credit card or PayPal. I usually ask for a card for USA and Europe. Same sort of price about 300 minutes ( it used to be 600. I blame BREXIT) for 10 Euros, but I am not locked into a contract. If I don't use it some months it just carries on.
A hairy man who is scant of hair

thediggers

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2017, 09:00:12 PM »
For some I would guess anything that avoids a contract is good!

Offline Orbito

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2017, 09:30:49 PM »
Thanks Cesare - Edicard sounds like the best way forward.

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2017, 09:52:41 PM »
I use Skype, as the diggers say it's 3.60 a month (no contract, just pay it when you want) for unlimited calls to (in my case UK) landlines. I'm pretty sure the same rate applies to US landline numbers, and any European country. Not sure about Aus and NZ - ETA (Oh, I see the diggers confirm that Aus and NZ are at the same rates.)

The other party doesn't have to use Skype - I have been using it to call 0800 UK numbers, and 0191 UK numbers (which are 'premium rate') and it works fantastically. I have it on my smartphone, so it's exactly like making a normal call, but costs me nothing beyond my 3.60 per month, even when I have to listen to half an hour of hold music.

I've also got a personal UK number from Skype, (because so many UK institutions won't even consider ringing an Italian mobile). You can choose which country you want your phone number to seem to be located. I have to admit that I haven't quite got this to work reliably though: I need to work on how to actually answer a call, and I don't have enough friends willing to 'test it out' for me to experiment. I'm assured by Skype it will only cost them a local rate call, but nobody trusts me when I give them that information! Note to self, ask richer friends with landlines in the UK.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 09:55:03 PM by Relaxed »