Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: What have you seen today then?  (Read 4006 times)

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
Re: What have you seen today then?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
Last few days have seen flocks of Bee Eaters (birds) flying overhead.

When I woke up this morning I saw a HUGE Gecko on the inside of the shutter. About the size of a chameleon. Do Geckos eat hornet grubs? I saw one go into a hornets nest once and after that the hornet making it cleared off.

Wild boar continue to dig up the countryside upsetting the local dog population.
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 10:49:38 AM »
They are known as autumn crocus - so it's just the right time of year for them (a bit early, if anything). They are ever so easy, and they seem to love growing on the edges of roads. They spread like wildfire and become weeds in a garden, but if you have a spot of wilderness they are worth planting.

The horticultural powers that be have decreed that botanical Latin is no longer obligatory, but in this case I'd like to mention that these yellow 'autumn crocuses' are in fact Sternbergia lutea, and not of the crocus family at all. To confuse the matter further, there are members of the Crocus family which do flower in autumn, but they're not yellow.

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
Last few days have seen flocks of Bee Eaters (birds) flying overhead.

When I woke up this morning I saw a HUGE Gecko on the inside of the shutter. About the size of a chameleon. Do Geckos eat hornet grubs? I saw one go into a hornets nest once and after that the hornet making it cleared off.

Wild boar continue to dig up the countryside upsetting the local dog population.

do i need to go to speck savers   i not yet seen the bee eaters  :'( :'( :'(

Offline SuperRam

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 11:53:14 AM »
At last. Managed to catch one of 'our' black squirrels having his/her breakfast today.

thediggers

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »
Great picture!

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 12:28:04 PM »
At last. Managed to catch one of 'our' black squirrels having his/her breakfast today.

indeed  a great pitcher   best show it to cheryl  A3

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 12:56:28 PM »
Hmm, not seen one today but yesterday one was peeping at me, it wasn't black though, got a feeling it was a chipmonk, is that probable?

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:05 PM »
Hmm, not seen one today but yesterday one was peeping at me, it wasn't black though, got a feeling it was a chipmonk, is that probable?
its posible  that some have escaped  captivity as pets  , and would surrvive our climate here   ma boh non lo so securo

Offline SuperRam

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2014, 01:35:18 PM »

Spider.
I think that this is the same sort as the spider that gave me a nasty bite or sting and drew blood a couple of years ago when I went to put it outside! Be cautious if you see it near you.

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2014, 02:12:40 PM »

Spider.
I think that this is the same sort as the spider that gave me a nasty bite or sting and drew blood a couple of years ago when I went to put it outside! Be cautious if you see it near you.

thats the tiger  assed  spider  dot mess with it . serius though  stripes  of that coulor  are to warn its  dagerios   to other animals , but somtimes its a  bluff  as with the hover fly  and lots of animals and insects   , but in this case there is no bluff

thediggers

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2014, 02:49:35 PM »
It's a wasp spider and they are not dangerous to humans, like most spiders they can bite and some people may have a reaction to it... You even get then in the UK now and then...

Offline Christoforo

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 01:36:14 PM »
This was a Wolf Spider I found whilst working outside .. and before you call me a wuss I was already wearing gloves  ::)

thediggers

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2014, 03:45:27 PM »
It would seem these are the 2 you need to worry about... http://www.rhinocarhire.com/Car-Hire-Blog/October-2012/Spiders-in-Italy.aspx

Offline Christoforo

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2014, 05:19:04 PM »
I can't wait to tell the OH that there is an Italian Tarantula ... that'll keep her out of my garden & garage  8)

Offline Shebar

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2014, 05:36:22 PM »
Some pretty flowers, a nice butterfly, or, dare I say, even linsead's tits would vastly improve this thread.  Though it is reassuring to know that the Italian spiders are largely benign.  It's the nasty flying things that you can hardly see that do the most damage to me.

I've seen badgers on two occasions during the last couple of weeks (different places, different badgers) - the first I've seen in the 10 years I've been here.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:40:17 PM by Shebar »