Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: What have you seen today then?  (Read 3268 times)

thediggers

What have you seen today then?
« on: September 07, 2014, 08:30:52 PM »
What no "Nature" section! Where is Linsead going to stick his tits?

Hopefully anyone spotting something can add to this just so Cheryl does not think the forum is frozen...  I'll start things off, no stinky bugs I promise, but we had noticed the increase in numbers in the last few days... Bee Eaters are what we spotted today (and the last few days to be honest), however we have seen them throughout the year. But this time there were 50 or more, could have been a hundred for all I know as I only ever get to about 10.... Amazing to see and hear. Just to add that we have more Swallows than ever this year and they are still here! Even had half a dozen or so House Matins, which we thought had gone for the year...  :)

Offline levissima

• Administrator
Re: What have you seen today then?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »
There you go The Diggers a new board

I saw a hoopoe just the other day, they look so exotic!

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 09:17:11 PM »
talking of tits  yester day  i bought   a falsy tit  made of plastic  , verry life like  with a  motion  sensa  and it sings  when  somthing  moves near it 

so ive put it on the balcony to see  the reaction  of my real tits  .. how sad is that  , but hey iam borde  ;)

thediggers

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:42:01 PM »
There you go The Diggers a new board

I saw a hoopoe just the other day, they look so exotic!

Thanks Levi, for the board and reminding me of one of my favourite birds here, they are simply beautiful. For almost a week, and it did this early on in the year, we had this single bird outside our window on the grass (read weeds) every morning, we even came out and walked within less than 10m of it, sat and had breakfast, as it did the same. It just continued on as if we were not there... Superb!!!  ;D :) ;D

thediggers

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
talking of tits  yester day  i bought   a falsy tit  made of plastic  , verry life like  with a  motion  sensa  and it sings  when  somthing  moves near it 

so ive put it on the balcony to see  the reaction  of my real tits  .. how sad is that  , but hey iam borde  ;)

Sorry Linsead I was so excited I forgot your falsies, do watch they don't get too cold over winter, they may drop off...

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 10:20:23 PM »

Hopefully anyone spotting something can add to this just so Cheryl does not think the forum is frozen...  I'll start things off, no stinky bugs I promise, but we had noticed the increase in numbers in the last few days... Bee Eaters are what we spotted today (and the last few days to be honest), however we have seen them throughout the year. But this time there were 50 or more, could have been a hundred for all I know as I only ever get to about 10.... Amazing to see and hear. Just to add that we have more Swallows than ever this year and they are still here! Even had half a dozen or so House Matins, which we thought had gone for the year...  :)

diggers  iam intreged  i love birds and  bird watching . in our garden we have blue tits great  tits   gold finches  green finches   pied wagtails dunocks  , black birds , house martins  , little owls . jenny rens   nut hatches . fire crests , the od group of long tailed tits  . robins , and somthing i  call a red tail  verry pretty and wags its taill  like a wag tail  . swifts swallows  and the like

ive seen hoopos  , goldend orial  and wood peckers 

But ive yet to seen bee eaters ive googled them and they are  bootiful  . what is there habitat  , are they only in the  noth of abruzzo as i would like to see some

please tell me where you see them , binos ready  , twicher  from  down south

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 10:24:30 PM »
Have been seeing a beautiful bird, on it's own allways, doesn't seem to have a distinct cry but it is beautiful, got a flash of electric blue, about the size of a pigeon, ???

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 10:37:07 PM »
Have been seeing a beautiful bird, on it's own allways, doesn't seem to have a distinct cry but it is beautiful, got a flash of electric blue, about the size of a pigeon, ???

its a  eopeen jay  a member of the crow family  . corvids   . a pretey bird but not a verry nice bird  as it raids  song bird nests and eats the egs and young . there are a lot in abruzzo as they are not good eating  so the hunters leave them alone , and perhaps only shoot them for a dfeather   to put in there cap  the blue pin feathers 
 which allso  are verry good for trout  flys

thediggers

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2014, 10:37:28 PM »

I would guess a Jay.. have a look at these...

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »
Looked at the pics and yes that's the one, a jay, such a little word for such a captivating bird, I love it.

thediggers

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 11:03:30 PM »

diggers  iam intreged  i love birds and  bird watching . in our garden we have blue tits great  tits   gold finches  green finches   pied wagtails dunocks  , black birds , house martins  , little owls . jenny rens   nut hatches . fire crests , the od group of long tailed tits  . robins , and somthing i  call a red tail  verry pretty and wags its taill  like a wag tail  . swifts swallows  and the like

But ive yet to seen bee eaters ive googled them and they are  bootiful  . what is there habitat  , are they only in the  noth of abruzzo as i would like to see some

I was surprised you had not mentioned them before... Perhaps they do not venture too high, we are at 272m above sea level? I first seen these lovely birds in Tuscany, they nest in holes in banks like sand martins, but the banks I saw by the road were like stone, rather than sand.. Not too sure where they nest here, but guess it's near by as I've seen then ferry bees and hornets back in spring/summer. Can't mistake them if you spot them, but best way is to hear them. I know your honey buzzard sounded odd in the mountain/hills, so this might not be a good example for you (second one down is what we hear). We almost always hear them before we see them. But they often sit on the wires, jump off or swoop down and come back up with bees or more often hornets. We had a treat of seeing one a few years back come back on the wire a few feet away from the house and bang it's catch (hornet) on the wire, throw it in the air and swallow it! They also appear in the UK every year and from what I heard actually nested there this year...

Great picture we got at the time, shame it was not the one catching the hornet... It dived off the wire backwards to catch the hornet...

Offline linsead oil

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 09:38:46 AM »
iam so sad , we must be to high at 615 mts to  see these  spelded  birds   oh well back to my tits  A3

thediggers

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 02:23:10 PM »

..... i love birds and  bird watching . in our garden we have blue tits great  tits   gold finches  green finches   pied wagtails dunocks  , black birds , house martins  , little owls . jenny rens   nut hatches . fire crests , the od group of long tailed tits  . robins , and somthing i  call a red tail  verry pretty and wags its taill  like a wag tail  . swifts swallows  and the like

I thought about this list and forgot about it again... pied wagtails I may have seen once or twice, same with black birds, but no wrens. Only others we have seen are twite and black cap, oh and a quail that stayed around for a few days... The red tail is a redstart or black redstart of that I'm sure, both of them are very common here and we were lucky to have one nest by the house 2 years in a row. We still get many sitting on the garden cane or poles and flitting down to catch spiders or something...

Offline Cheryl

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 06:28:19 PM »
Just been for a quick walk and saw to my surprise a swathe of yellow crocus..... Do they allways come out this early, usually February or March in England, very colourful they were, and growing in rubble by the side of the road...

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 09:00:37 PM »
They are known as autumn crocus - so it's just the right time of year for them (a bit early, if anything). They are ever so easy, and they seem to love growing on the edges of roads. They spread like wildfire and become weeds in a garden, but if you have a spot of wilderness they are worth planting.