Please register if you want to contribute!

Author Topic: Terremoti  (Read 1560 times)

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
Re: Terremoti
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2016, 02:55:21 PM »
I've been trying to read and understand all the information some of which (mainly from Daily Express online) is very alarmimg! Such as the recent quakes causing a volcano near Rome to become active again!!! Sceientists seem to think this is due in another 1,000 years so we should be OK ;)

What I do not really understand is are fault lines fixed geographically or not ?  And can they grow in size ? The earthquakes along this previously dormant faultline do seem to be triggering other activity along nearby faultlines.
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline Shebar

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2016, 04:04:12 PM »
You need to go to the link that GR posted on the other thread.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyaVU5QZjp4

This guy gives a daily update of earthquake activity across the globe and predicts the resulting consequences in the following days.  As GR mentioned, his presentation is a bit naff, but he does explain the processes pretty well.  You'll need to watch him for a day or two to get the picture.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2016, 06:27:36 PM »
As a Kiwi I have an earthquake alert app on my phone, it's amazing just how many there are around the world, every day.

Online Grimsby Ranger

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2016, 06:45:56 PM »
As a Kiwi I have an earthquake alert app on my phone, it's amazing just how many there are around the world, every day.

I hope any family and friends you may have in New Zealand are all safe and well

Offline dolcevita

• myabruzzohome
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2016, 08:26:07 PM »
He is very annoying but it is interesting!!

According to his prediction a new round of pressure is coming resulting in another 4.6 quake to hit central Italy in the next week. >:( >:( >:(
a third rate mind follows the crowd

Offline Brush Strokes

• http://abruzzodecorators.wixsite.com/italy
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2016, 09:01:40 PM »
Another interesting article here from The Times, although it is a week old now.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/more-big-earthquakes-on-the-way-italian-scientist-warns-pv068w8mx?shareToken=595b5c26ec9fdd87ce40819410b13b68

I think though reading other articles recently this is perhaps old news to most of us here.

Offline Orbito

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2016, 11:26:24 AM »
I hope any family and friends you may have in New Zealand are all safe and well

Thanks GR, a worrying day yesterday, for sure, but tracked everyone down and they are all fine. Most were sensible and headed for high ground when they heard the tsunami siren. My brother slept through it... ::)

Offline Relaxed

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2016, 01:55:39 AM »
Good to know that there were very few casualties in NZ. In that quake it was clearly important to warn about a tsunami - (though I must say I was a bit skeptical about the Italian prot civile advice to avoid lakes and beaches!)

On the central Italy quake sequence, here is 'an update' from INGV (the reference 'agency' for the protezione civile, and my favourite earthquake feed). Basically - it seems to me - they are saying that they have not got much of a clue about what happens next, but they're pretty sure that something will happen. This isn't because they are stupid, or lacking information: from reading this article these experts (along with the rest of us) agree that this current sequence is difficult to analyse on a conventional  'historical' basis.

https://ingvterremoti.wordpress.com/2016/11/14/sequenza-sismica-in-italia-centrale-rapporto-di-sintesi-sul-terremoto-del-30-ottobre/